News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Recommend Mail Order Tackle Companies

Started by Wildfisher, January 03, 2008, 12:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

What is  your most and least favourite?

Must admit I have not used a lot of them, but:

the best service by a mile for me has been from Sportfish. Not the cheapest, but with them you get what you pay for:  great service. I have ordered  a lot of bits and bobs over the years and they  always arrived within a day or two. Often next day. Before Christmas  I ordered  two Vision wading jackets, one for Martin, one for me. They were sale times and it turned out they only had one left. They actually phoned me to apologise. Martin got the jacket for Christmas.

On the other hand  I ordered a Vision 3 zone rod  from FMTC three or four years back. It took weeks to arrive. Fair enough, stock can run out. However, what was inexcusable was that none of my enquiry emails were answered. Once  bitten twice shy, never again.

superscot

QuoteOn the other hand  I ordered a Vision 3 zone rod  from FMTC three or four years back. It took weeks to arrive and none of my enquiry emails were answered. Once  bitten twice shy, never again.

Funny they did the same thing to me ....

johnsd

Funny this post coming up just now,I ordered a wading staff from Mullarkeys selling as half price online on the 26th Dec staff listed as lureflash folding 5 piece 5ft with a cork handle what I received I could only describe as a eastern European copy no brand name,handle made of foam,7 piece I doubt if it will take even my slim profile  email quickly dispatched as yet no reply thinking of contacting lureflash just for badness if they don,t contact me soon.john
yer going where

haresear

Yep, Sportfish have been excellent for me. Good website too, with comparison charts of tippet materials and stuff.

Taimen were very good as were Lakeland and also fly-fishing-tackle.co.uk

QuoteI doubt if it will take even my slim profile 
:lol:

Should have gone for the Snowbee, John.

Alex
Protect the edge.

johnsd

Might still do Alex off to GAC for a browse to-morrow  :lol:john
yer going where

Clan Ford

As Fred mentions, Sportfish are hard to beat in the UK.  I've used Taimen (of Poland) a good few times and like Col and Alex can only recommend them (especially the free P&P).

Worst service I have recieved has been from GAC & FMTC but they are cheaper than Sportfish and got there in the end.

Before Christmas I decided on a short handled McLean weigh net form Santa.  Cheapest I could find it was from Linsley Bros.  First net I recieved was a large Tri weigh net - Not the Short handled Weigh net.  They quickly responded to my email pointing out the error and I soon recieved a "large" short handled weigh net (not the standard size I had ordered).  They also claimed the carrier would collect the first net but they didn't want it and wouldn't take it.  Personal events then overtook me, so I'm currently sat here with two expenisve McLean Weigh nets - neither of them the one I ordered! Suppose I best get on to sorting it out again :?

Norm

Highlander

I'll reiterate what most have said. Sportfish is by far the best followed closely by John Norris.
Worse & I have tried most, GAC & FMTC have let me down on more than one occasion.
There are many other that are good/bad. Most are only as good as their last order. Guess that goes for everyone in the cold light of dawn
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

haresear

QuoteIf I can't get it in the local shop I buy a substitute. 

A good point Steve. I would rather pay a few bob extra to support my local shop too for casual purchases. When it comes to buying rods etc., money talks.

I went in to the Ballater tackle shop last summer and asked for size 16s. They guys were dumbfounded and had to search for them. I ended up with several hundred antiquated 16s for a pound. I felt bad about that and ended up buying a load of stuff I didn't need as a "thank you". ( they probably still have loads of those wee hooks, if you are after them).

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

No local tackle shop up here, nearest 15 miles away and the range is pretty abysmal. Sorry guys, but much as I like to support local businesses  "the world  don't owe them no livin". Whatever I buy from the local shop I have to factor in ?4 for petrol and at least an hour of my time into the cost equation. Makes  a spool of nylon a wee bit pricey!

The day of the local tackle shop is pretty much gone, sad I know, but things change. Just like the corner shoppie. Most of us  shop at places like Asda / Tesco / Morrison's etc  as we believe  we get a better choice and price,  is far more convenient and makes better use of our time.  I honestly don't see the difference.  Councils don’t help small shops either by charging colossal business rates.

Perhaps the local tackle shop needs to become more versatile and sell a wider range of general goods. Even back in the 60s our local shop Tam Clarks in Arbroath did  not just sell tackle, they  sold bikes, guns  and other  related stuff. It's a shame losing the local shop, but it's not a tragedy. Location has taught me to live without the local facility and plan ahead. I buy most of  my "fishing consumables"  – nylon etc in bulk at the season start and therefore don't really miss the lack of a local shop

Wildfisher

Quote from: Steve on January 03, 2008, 12:12:14 AM
Cookshill

Superb quality and range of traditional  materials and great service

Go To Front Page