News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Recommend Mail Order Tackle Companies

Started by Wildfisher, January 03, 2008, 12:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aliferste

For me just the usual Lakeland Fly Tying and http://www.fly-fishing-tackle.co.uk/

Never had a problem with them, the second ran out of size 19 TMC hooks so sent me a mail saying they would send them on when they received them - I sent them a reply saying just give me another size and they did - i was happy with that !

After years of loathing GAC store i now accept it is pretty much the best out there (I don't use mail order though) I recently went into John Norris as I heard there fly tying material section was second to none - I was not impressed at all by there selection. Still, they had an OK selection of clothes though.

Guess I am lucky that I have a big shop close by !

tammytroot

I ordered some fly tying materials from Sportfish that never arrived, when I got in contact with them they sent a replacement  order without a problem,I can honestly say that the sevice has always been first class. on the other hand I ordered a couple of lines from G.A.C ,after a fortnights wait I phoned them and was met with  disinterest.  A good shop to visit but online I would avoid.                 
Tammy Troot

Malcolm

I use Sportfish, John Norris and Steve Parton regularly - all are excellent. Only bad experience I've ever had is GAC
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

sandyborthwick

Sportsfish top in my books - can't beat the service. John Norris are reasonable and price competitive on some items. FMTC wouldn't bother - absolute rubbish service, all sorts of items missing, poor if any email response, and slow delivery.

Sandy B.O 

Wildfisher

Quote from: sandyborthwick on January 03, 2008, 01:39:54 PM
Sportsfish top in my books - can't beat the service. John Norris are reasonable and price competitive on some items. FMTC wouldn't bother - absolute rubbish service, all sorts of items missing, poor if any email response, and slow delivery.

The difference may be  that Sportfish / John Norris hold stock and some of these other may not. Some operate a "drop shipping"  service. Basically that means they never see the goods, they just take your money and pass the order on to the supplier / wholesaler.

garryh

the GAC are by far and away the worst mail order service Ive dealt with.never yet received a complete order and always had trouble trying to get the back order sent.cookshill,sportfish and john norris Ive found to be excellent.lochside tackle while being my local shop also do a mail order service,if you phone up and speak to Liz, 9 times out of 10 she will match any other offer.only 5 minutes walk from my house.it does show that local tackle shops can exist,but they do have to move with the times.

cheers Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

The General

Sportfish for me as well.    I had good service from John Norris as well but now I could paper the bedroom with the catalogues
I have received from them,
I would like to say that if you are visiting Birmingham and fancy some fishing (coarse) then you would be made
very welcome in the Fishing Lodge on the Coventry Road.  Great service, great information, wide choice of tackle and
very reasonable prices.

Davie

silverbutcher

John Norris and Newmills reels n deals have been the best for service.
Have ordered three times from newmills and have had delivery next day each time. And its free postage.
New rod I bought from them as it was ?30 cheaper than I could find it anywhere else.

All the best

Billy

fredaevans

Are you interested in a list (partial anyway) of good USA based 'e-tailers' who do a steady business in the UK?

Clan Ford

I'd be interested Fred, I buy the odd bit tackle from over the pond.  It would be nice to check out a few reliable retailers.

Norm

Go To Front Page