News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Recommend Mail Order Tackle Companies

Started by Wildfisher, January 03, 2008, 12:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haresear

QuoteI would like to say that if you are visiting Birmingham and fancy some fishing (coarse) then you would be made
very welcome in the Fishing Lodge on the Coventry Road.  Great service, great information, wide choice of tackle and
very reasonable prices.

Not the one in Yardley, next to the hardware store Davie? I'm pretty regularly in there (my mum lives off Damson Parkway in Solihull). The people who own it are helpful as you say.

Next you'll be telling me you know Alan's tackle in Worcester too.

Alex
Protect the edge.

drumgerry

I've had the usual good experiences with Sportfish and Lakeland flytying - top service from both.  Another big company worth trying is Fishtec - not had a bad experience with them either.  Had good dealings with the Jan Siman website in the Czech Republic as well - interesting flytying bits and pieces as well as some bigger hardware if you've not been there before.  Dave Downie's website as well - he's always been a pleasure to deal with and I've had some nice dyed capes and other stuff from him.

Cheers

Gerry

drumgerry

Oh and one other company which is absolutely the best for service is Niche flytying -  you need to do business by phone but you always have an interesting chat about some obscure flytying material in the process.  Can't remember the guy's name but he's very friendly.

The General

Alex
My daughter lives in Solihull.   My mawinlaw lives in Solihull Lane, Hall Green.  I lived in Church Road Yardley for four years.
I don't know what shops are near to The Fishing Lodge, you have to come off the Coventry Road and do a kind of dog leg
to get to it and then take your life into your own hands getting back on to the Coventry Road.   Last time I was in was
in 1980 and both of the guys who owned it then have died unfortunately.  I was then a rep for Milbro so yes I do know Allans shop and just about every shop in the midlands.  Well stocked shop and they put me right
introducing my grandson (9) to coarse fishing.  He has already got the trout fishing bug through his visits to Inverness.
He liked the coarse fishing though because we eventually were catching a fish a minute and some bonny fish as well
(roach, rudd, roach/bream hybrid, wee common and wee crucian carp and last fish caught was a tench.  Was chuffed to see
not lost the touch and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
If all goes well this year, hope to get a few lessons from you fishing the smaller rivers.

Davie

haresear

QuoteI don't know what shops are near to The Fishing Lodge, you have to come off the Coventry Road and do a kind of dog leg
to get to it and then take your life into your own hands getting back on to the Coventry Road.

Yes it's the same place. Small world right enough :). Hope to meet up with you during the troot season Davie.

Alex

Protect the edge.

shanksi

Have used both Cookshill and Peche Truite http://www.pechetruite.com/home.htm for CDC and can recommend both of them.  Have also used Garry Evans in Cardiff who usually have some good deals.
GAC is ok to visit as it's local but from reading comments about their mail order seems to be a bit of a joke.

shanksi

sandyborthwick

Have have good service also from J Stockard in the States (jsflyfishing.com). Some excellent gear and very well priced. You do have to take account of Duty Vat on larger purchases but smaller value items arrive quickly and well packed.

Sandy B.O.

Highlander

Thinking about John Norris catalogues.What about the fliers
I mean how many Tatershall Shirts, Gerber/Winchester knifes & Big hankies do they have?
:)
Tight lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Andrew Moray

Quote from: drumgerry on January 03, 2008, 09:48:44 PM
Oh and one other company which is absolutely the best for service is Niche flytying -  you need to do business by phone but you always have an interesting chat about some obscure flytying material in the process.  Can't remember the guy's name but he's very friendly.
Peter Smith ?.
Excellent guy to deal with, just like Steve Parton, make sure you have a free hour before you 'phone  :D.
Both of them actually talk you out of spending money, dubious business practices surely.

Tony

bluezulu

sportfish have been on the whole good for me. being 'blessed' by living in london i can visit their shop but still find that mail order is simply more convenient.

i know most people on this forum tie their own but believe me i have tried and  i have tried ...and the resuts look like an accident at a knitting factory. so with the exception of the really simple patterns i have decided that until i can put some time in and apply myself (which will either come after the divorce, or when my 4 year old is a fair bit older- or both)  i have to rely on mail order for a lot of my flies. phil at spiders plus has proven incredibly good for tying up stuff to my specs; also have had some nice flies from gerry at artifly but he is very busy and turn around can be  little on the slow side.
for more standard stuff fliesonline and flymail have both been reasonable.

Go To Front Page