News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Attaching Fly Lines To Leaders

Started by Wildfisher, February 25, 2008, 07:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Quote from: MommaPete on March 24, 2008, 06:36:07 PM
What's wrong with whipping a loop in the end of your line and then attaching your leader with a blood knot - worked well for me for years and I've never had a problem with presentation, well that's not strictly true but that's more likely due to bad technique! And its simple with modern plastic line you don't even need to whip the loop, simply use a healthy quantity of super glue. That doesn't look as nice but it is very effective.

MommaPete

I have just done exactly  that with a new sink tip line ....................

Highlander

Never had a braided loop part but then again I add a little whipping sealed with Fishin-glue as an extra.
Maybe belt & braces but the last thing I want is for a Trout to be towing 12ft of braided leader & tippet about.
Whatever means you use test it thoroughly.
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

MommaPete

My current floating line (which actually turned out to be less than buoyant yesterday) has had a loop stuck in it using superglue for about 10 years. Makes a superb little loop and a smooth transition too. The way that I did it was to turn about 1.5 inches back on its self and glue the length together leaving a 1/4 inch loop free. The loop is still perfect after all this time although the integrity of the line seems compromised now and I reckon thats due to age.

I have no problems using Cyanoacrylate on these lines - it has to be said though that my line is old and the newer lines may be a different plastic so caution will be required. Even so a leader tied on with a blood knot or loop shouldn't come off if the join parts and you've got a monster on!

And I have to say that I'd be a bit suspect of a figure of eight with hard plastic lines and with differing diameters of line! (I am a climber and it is the principle safety knot for us!) Also its fairly bulky (OK for wet fly men perhaps, Bruac) and the original question was about reducing the bulk of the join............. to aid presentation.  :D

MommaPete

Sandison

Figure of eight knot has always worked for me....
Bruce Sandison

bunnet

I generally fish a 3 or 4 weight line, and find a nail knot gives the least obtrusive join. I have tried using braided loops in the past, but they seemed to be a bit bulky and stiff on a light line?

Ythanjoe

I prefer core whipped back and a coat of fishin glue ,it goes through the tip ring no problem and maybe compensates for my poor casting/drift 'issues'. I am not so sure what thickness to start the leader with however ,as anything thicker than 0.37mm just seems bulky on a fine loop,plus all the knots at step downs thereafter.

J

haresear

QuoteThe nail knot looks good - I currently use it for my backing to fly line join. I'm going to try it for fly line to tapered polyleader now.

I tried that (the nail knot) with polyleaders a few years ago, Claretbumble, but found the join was still quite bulky and prone to snagging in the tip ring. On the other hand, it will be more streamlined than your current loop to loop. At the other end, I think your loop to loop is as good as any other method.

I must say I don't use polyleaders any more for trout, partly because I couldn't get a smooth join to the fly line and partly because I found them a bit splashy. I use a tapered mono leader to which I attach a finer tippet using the 2 turn water/surgeons knot.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

I stopped using the polyleaders in favour of the tapered mono myself. They seem to last longer too.

Wildfisher

Quote from: claretbumble on April 07, 2008, 09:36:39 PM
And how do you attach them to your fly line, admin?

I'm still experimenting. I have nail knotted some of then and on others made a loop in the fly line by stripping back to the core then whipping and super-gluing a very small loop. This makes a much smaller loop that any braided connector could. I then simply  attach the thick end on leader using a  half blood. As far as bulk goes the two methods are about the same, but the loop – blood knot arrangement makes it  easier to change a knackered leader. I intend to try both this season.

That's me gone full circle now, I'm back making loops on et end of the line like I used to do years ago!

haresear

QuoteSo how do you get "a smooth join to the fly line" for the tapered mono's?

If you look at previous posts in this thread, you'll see we each have our own favourite methods. Many folk like the whipped loop method and I'm a nail knotter combined with a superglue connection, which means the mono comes right through the centre of the flyline. My method is impossible on a mono core line of course.

There have been previous threads on this same subject too.

Alex

Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page