News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Attaching Fly Lines To Leaders

Started by Wildfisher, February 25, 2008, 07:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fluffflinger

Needle and Zap a Gap for me.

Thread tapered mono leader through the hole in tip of flyline, I aim to only use about the 2.5ft of leader where the taper is really acute. Roughen the leader before applying glue and pulling the glued section into the flyline. I've tested this to destruction and it's unelievable strong.  Saying that I put a short 2mm whipping over the tip of the flyline, applied by holding leader and line and spinning a flytying bobbin around the line, with thin stretchy thread this bites in so deep that the whipping is flush with the surface of the flyline.

For those who might not think it's that strong, try it on an old flyline you'll be amazed and it's the best joint for smoth transition of energy from flyline to leader. 

At the business end a 1mm Roman Moser leader ring and that's it for the season. I have tested them at the end of a hard season and seen no discernable weakening of the joint, but I always change them during the winter.

Cheers

Richard

haresear

QuoteI aim to only use about the 2.5ft of leader where the taper is really acute. Roughen the leader before applying glue and pulling the glued section into the flyline. I've tested this to destruction and it's unelievable strong.  Saying that I put a short 2mm whipping over the tip of the flyline, applied by holding leader and line and spinning a flytying bobbin around the line, with thin stretchy thread this bites in so deep that the whipping is flush with the surface of the flyline.

For those who might not think it's that strong, try it on an old flyline you'll be amazed and it's the best joint for smoth transition of energy from flyline to leader.

At the business end a 1mm Roman Moser leader ring and that's it for the season.

Does this mean you reel the Roman Moser ring inside the rod rings when you get a fish Richard? I did this once on a good (wild :)) rainbow and when it took off again I was very uncomfortable with the ring clattering through the rod rings. That's why I abandoned the leader rings, although they could be useful at times.

Alex
Protect the edge.

scotty9

Quote from: Alan on March 23, 2010, 01:18:31 AM
a fiver for anyone that can pull ma zap a gapped joins out :lol:

You're on  :lol:

Fluffflinger

Quote from: haresear on March 22, 2010, 10:48:15 PM
Does this mean you reel the Roman Moser ring inside the rod rings when you get a fish Richard? I did this once on a good (wild :)) rainbow and when it took off again I was very uncomfortable with the ring clattering through the rod rings. That's why I abandoned the leader rings, although they could be useful at times.

Alex

Yep. Not ideal and I don't always use a ring (last year I used it all season and had no problems) the smallest size 1mm I think is fine I like the method as it gives the best turnover I've ever had but I don't want to keep doing it everytime my tapered mono section gets too short, hence the ring. I actually use an 0x tapered leader to get the taper I'm looking for and then level mono from that. Ultimately the energy transfer fades as wind resistance takes over in fine nylon.

I agree with Alan about how strong they are. We did a test in the store and snapped the core of a flyline before the joint gave out(I seem to remember the line broke at about 34lbs.  Not saying with the frequent flexing of the joint it might not weaken overtime but it doesn't concern me.  We tested the joint just glued and with a single whipping over a 2mm section of the hidden leader and no glue. After that I had absolute confidence in the method and would suggest it to all. 

Think I lose more fish to wind knots then anything else in the course of a season.

Try a few test yourself and you'll become a believer. Only take 40mins and an old flyline.

Cheers

Richard

Wildfisher

Quote from: Fluffflinger on March 23, 2010, 09:04:11 PM
Think I lose more fish to wind knots then anything else in the course of a season.

That probably goes  for  most  Richard. The tailing loop has a lot to answer for and I wonder if any fly fisher  ever eliminates  them completely.  :(

Malcolm

I wonder why no manufacturer has come up with tiny 10lb bs high abrasion nylon rings. It would seem to solve the ring rattling though the eyes problem.

Malcolm
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Go To Front Page