News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

I NEVER NEW THAT !

Started by dseabass, May 19, 2008, 09:08:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muddler54

Cracking post davie,    you know i travel about a bit wi a daft welshman,  when in aberdeenshire
  if he seen a magpie he woudna move till he seen its mate( one for sorrow an a that)....
   so we used to look out for them,   central belt theres heaps, aberdeenshire theres a few
    morayshire the odd few ,but never seen any in inverness....
    we were discussing this same subject at the fishing hut on the ness, when the inverness angling president mike campbell came in about,, so he says " aye theres magpies i got some in me garden"
   we were a bit sceptical at the time, so to prove it in he comes the next day wi magpie feathers
just to prove it........
     so davie to answer your question     yes there are magpies in inverness    a pair anyway!!!
           cheers mick

Pearly Invicta

Quote from: breac uaig on February 23, 2009, 04:52:18 PM
Heard that bit with esther woolfson she stated that corvids probably got their bad name from the great fire of london feasting on the bodies, a bit strange considering there were only 8 or nine known victims,
I do wish people would research the facts,  :roll:  breac uaig

Derek- the woman has a raven nesting under her kitchen table. I suspect she's a bit mental.

invictor

A few year ago, i was fishing the river Blain. Had a fish about six lbs.
Not having a bag with me, I laid it on the grass at my back. in the
couple of minutes that passed I sensed movement at my back,
when i turned round a magpie had plucked the eye out of the fish as nice as ninepence.

Gola

Magpies in abundance here in Ireland, although interestingly they are somewhat of a newcomer. Folklore often puts there presence down to Cromwell, the belief being that they came to Ireland with Cromwell and his troops. I have even heard them referred to as Cromwell's Crows.

Although generally happy to blame most ills on Cromwell I think in this instance he is probably innocent, as the first recorded Magpies in Ireland aren't until the 1670's and Cromwell had buggered off home by 1650. The most common view nowadays is that a single flock got blown across in a major storm in the 1670's and that all Irish magpies derive from them.

Joe.

Pearly Invicta

Suspect the association with Cromwell, like the association with the great fire of london and also with the plague is to do with feeding on dead stuff. Like bodies.

River Chatter

There's been a real explosion of Maggies in Glasgow. When I was a kid, it was a treat to spot one,now they're everywhere you look and when the leaves drop from the trees in winter you can see just how well they're doing by the abundance of nests.  A couple of year ago, when I lived in Pollokshields, I seen one on Shields road hammering the back of a young starling's head.  Funny thing is, I made a similar observation to Admin, in that this Maggie seemed be enjoying itself. I don't suppose the starling recovered from the attention! Maggie by name, Maggie by nature!  :x

Ptinid

Quote from: Scotaidh on February 23, 2009, 03:36:58 PM
No magpies north of Loch Leven in Fife, missus and I have a "who can spot the first magpie" game on the way south.

We have magpies in Cupar, and I've seen them in Dundee - not far north of Leven I admit.

Also have a few tails and wings for tying flies with - courtesy of local Gamekeeper friend.
It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.  ~John Steinbeck

windknot

never seen a magpie fish
                                    ospeys commorants kingfishers even herons but never seen a magpie with a rod in its hand
                                    and ive seen plenty here in north lanarkshire sparrows wee tits of every colour even fishing
                                    without  a permit but who does anything about the the fish nobody but when theres a bird
                                    involved then you watch the fuss that gets kicked up ? :shock:

rabbitangler

When I lived in east kilbride there was a positive pestolence of magpies, and fine fly dressing material they were. Since I moved to angus I think I've seen two at most and that was in aberdeen.

Bit like Commom & Hoodie crows thers almost a visible border line between them north hoodies, south common??

Lochan

There are Magpies around Nairn and along the coast but not too many. I have also seen several towards Insch.

Go To Front Page