News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robbie

Olive wire bodied spider, with a grouse hackle.

[attachimg=1]

Clan Chief

very useful looking flee I must tie some up! Tidy too! Top vice work! 

Bobfly

A wee thorax of that micro fritz again. Is that the correct name?
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Robbie

Thorax is actually Hends UV ice dubbing in brown, it's an interesting colour which looks like it will be handy for various nymphs and wets.

Bobfly

Looks more like purple than brown !  Tidy fly for sure.  :)

Robbie

Cheers Vaughan, it does have a purple hue to it due to the uv flash in the mix.

I have been tying up a few other wire spiders

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

[attachimg=3]

Clan Chief

These spiders are outstanding Robbie and look extremely useful! 👍

Clan Chief

A fly pattern that I have been intrigued by for a while is theTelephone Fly.
Its tied in a style I like to tie and use!
However I've always thought it was such a ridiculous name to give to a trout fly and have always wondered how it came to be named as such.
So after a bit of digging I managed to find out...

Many years ago it is reputed that one perfect day in June in the north west of Ireland a very enthusiastic auld fisherman had a wonderfully successful day on Lough Conn with a lough style fly pattern that he had recently tied in preparation for a day on this famous County Mayo Lough!
However after catching numerous troot all day with this lough flee , later in the afternoon he lost this flee to a fiesty troot that broke him and made off with it.
In the evening the auld fella retired to the local pub/hotel and got incredibly drunk celebrating his success.
Late in the evening he phoned his mate to tell him about the outstanding fly pattern that caught him countless troot.
As you can imagine his drunken description of the fly to his mate that night got some what distorted and jumbled in the late night telephone conversation and insisted that his mate tie some up  for him and bring them over to him for the next day.
Next day his mate turned up with a dozen flees tied as described  in the drunken excitement of the late night call.
However the auld fella whilst recovering from a hangover the next morning and feeling  somewhat confused informed his mate that these flees  looked nothing  like the flee he told him to tie.
His mate insisted these were tied exactly as described in the conversation on the telephone the night before!
Regardless, the auld fella went out on the Lough that day armed with his mate's flees and had an even more successfu day with his friend's fly pattern than the day before.
And so  the Telephone Fly was born!
The pattern pictured here is my take on the Telephone Fly and in keeping with the brilliant story of its origins probably looks nothing like it's intended to be.
I just hope it catches me as many troot. Maybe in the future when I tell my mates about it we might come to learn of the Whatssapp Flee or the text flee.

Bobfly

That telephone job is just like the big bushy bumbles we used in Ireland on Mask and Carra. Just the business.  :)

scoobyscott

Nice spiders there. Thats a good wee story and a nice looking fly
Couple of wets, starling blae and black and a greenwells type [attachimg=1][attachimg=2]

Go To Front Page