News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Fly List

Started by tam, January 11, 2009, 11:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tam

Hello all just new to flyfishing about a year or so,recently i have also got into flytying and was looking to tie my own selection of 6-12 must have flies for the start of the season and was wondering what would be your recommends.i mostly loch fish, loch thom and surrounding fisheries but also loch Ba etc for wildies

Fishtales

Welcome to the forum.

Have a look in the fly data base for some good tyings to get you going.

http://www.wild-fishing-scotland.co.uk/flydatabase/

Type % in the search box for the full list.

You will no doubt be inundated with hundreds of must have flies in the next day or two :)
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Crawhin

Hi Tam,

Early season up at Loch Thom my standard cast would be pretty traditional and sombre with a butcher (long shank 10 always did well for me), black pennel, blea and black and zulus being pretty reliable. The Bibio and the short shank Ace of Spades that Col mentioned would also be good choices. Flees normally get more colourful as the season progresses and water/air warm up.

Mind it can be pretty cold up at Loch Thom at the start of the season - been fishing on the 15th in a couple of feet of snow more than a few times before now. Sinking lines/a weighted point flee come into their own in these conditions. But given a bit of warmer air there can be a black buzzer hatch around mid day though.  

Think Claret Bumble also fishes the area and might have some suggestions - there's also a short article on Loch Thom in an old Fishwild edition (link at the top of the page). Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Ian  

superscot

Tam mind yer Peter Ross .....canny go anywhere with oot wan !

rabbitangler

Quote from: tam on January 11, 2009, 11:23:54 PM
Hello all just new to flyfishing about a year or so,recently i have also got into flytying and was looking to tie my own selection of 6-12 must have flies for the start of the season and was wondering what would be your recommends.i mostly loch fish, loch thom and surrounding fisheries but also loch Ba etc for wildies

Bad move Tam cos you'll probably get a different twelve from each poster :D , but try to have a Deer Hair Sedge a la Bob Wyatt as well as his Deer Hair emerger. The sedge is a particular favorite of mine.

sandyborthwick

A simple tying and a very good all round fly is the Black and Peacock spider, I'm sure this will catch on your own tying and give some extra satisfaction. Any form of Hares Ear Nymph early season keep it simple and add a beaded head early on for a bt of depth. For a wee fling of something more fancy try tying a couple of Clan Chiefs a great pulling wet that produces lots of wildies.

Hope you have some fun catching on your own patterns just adds so much to the fun.

BOL

Sandy B.O.

roberth

Hello Tam,

My most successful fly for brown trout over the last couple of seasons has been the Golden Olive Bumble. I usually start with a Golden Olive Bumble on the bob, Partridge & Orange on the middle and a Pheasant Tail Nymph on the point.

Robert

Clan Ford

Quote from: gavceltic on January 13, 2009, 01:42:07 PM
... so I would have to add this to my suggestions as it is one that I would never be without.

Unlike the Peter Ross which is one that I would always be without :lol: :lol: :lol:

Norm

tam

Thanks for all the replies, a good list to be getting on with and something to do till the weather warms up a bit, a few fav's in there  like the bumbles ,zulus ,bibbio's etc. I have already tied an tried a few last season  even got some success with a black comorant and a montana. :D

tam

yep thats true,but who knows why the troot took it,the cormorant may have looked like a drooned fly :lol:

will pm you for a meetup ,up at the loch nearer seasons start you can give me a few pointers :8)

Go To Front Page