News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Mystery knot? --- Is The Davy Knot

Started by past caring, September 13, 2006, 06:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

past caring

Was shown this on a recent trip - bloke who showed it to me said he'd been shown it whilst on a trip to Ireland. He didn't know what it's called and the bloke who showed him didn't know what it's called. A susbesquent web search for angling knots has revealed nothing. Anyway, I found it useful, particularly for things like klinks and parachutes as there's much less chance of getting the hackles caught. In fact I've used it exclusively for tying flies to the leader since and not had it break. I also like it 'cos it's possible to tighten it down, minimising waste of tippet material. Apologies for the amateurish drawing, hope it's comprehensible.

If anyone does know what it's called, I'd be interested to know....
Oh, you wet, you weed, you mite! I will utterly tough you up!

superscot

past have a look onthis link it may be there ....nay time this evening to check it oot !! cheers

http://www.animatedknots.com/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

past caring

Wildfisher

That is a great knot. Easy to tie and learn  :shock: (easiest ever maybe) strong and VERY small. I'll use it from now on. Worth looking at the link Shanksi gives above.

past caring

Glad to be of service. Cheers shanksi and Jedi for pinning down the origin/name.

Wildfisher

The Uni Knot that Bob Wyatt uses is neat too, only problem is I find it too fiddley    to tie unless you have long droppers. My fingers get in the way!  Perhaps my technique is just wrong?  Any tips for that?

past caring

Haven't used the Uni knot, so sorry, can't help. Looks good though.

One nice little trick I've picked up, though, is to tie a straightforward half-hitch into the dropper after attaching with a conventional water knot - makes the dropper stand proud of your line at 90 degrees and helps prevent tangles....

I've been told there's a knot that can be used for attaching a new dropper to the same point in the line where the old one was - just slides  down the line and rests up against the knot of the old dropper. Apparently, it can be attached without having to remove the flies on the other droppers/point, so would be well useful - anyone heard of this?

Wildfisher

This is not a  problem for trout fly fishers, but I wonder if this knot is secure on BIG hooks where it is going round a larger diameter wire – will it pull tight enough?

Andrew Moray

Quote from: past caring on September 17, 2006, 12:54:22 PMI've been told there's a knot that can be used for attaching a new dropper to the same point in the line where the old one was - just slides  down the line and rests up against the knot of the old dropper. Apparently, it can be attached without having to remove the flies on the other droppers/point, so would be well useful - anyone heard of this?

I use a grinner for that, just slips down to the original knot.
Works OK for me.

Although I'm a relative beginner, I've had lots of practise at this due to the amount of tangles  :D

Anthony

EDIT
r.e. Davy knot.
Great, very low profile knot, for tying Riverge rings onto a tapered leader.

Go To Front Page