News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Locating holes in waders.

Started by hibsman, July 23, 2007, 10:08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hibsman

The method I use is to turn the waders inside out and fill with water.  I then mark where the leaks are with a black marker.

When the leaks are high up you need a lot of water and the waders become heavy and difficult to manage.

There must be a better way though!?   

Chris

haresear

I haven't tried this myself as yet, but some manufacturers reckon you should apply isopropyl alcohol to the suspected area and the holes will show up darker than the rest of the fabric. I think isopropyl is the same as the stuff also known as "rubbing alcohol".

Personally, the only thing I would rub with alcohol is my gullet :D

Alex
Protect the edge.

LoathianFisher

I thought a torch and a dark room was the best. Mind you, might no be all that good for really small holes.

Grant

aliferste

Quote from: LothianFisher on August 09, 2007, 03:29:28 PM
I thought a torch and a dark room was the best. Mind you, might no be all that good for really small holes.

Grant

That is what I use for small holes and it works just fine - if you know roughly where the hole is - as in the general area. I use a microlight torch which does not give out a lot of heat - I hold it close to the fabric and the holes show up great. Like a bright star in the sky. Much better to do it in a dark room.

fredaevans

Quote from: haresear on July 23, 2007, 11:21:17 PM
I haven't tried this myself as yet, but some manufacturers reckon you should apply isopropyl alcohol to the suspected area and the holes will show up darker than the rest of the fabric. I think isopropyl is the same as the stuff also known as "rubbing alcohol".

Personally, the only thing I would rub with alcohol is my gullet :D

Alex

Alex, my understanding is only works with Gortex material.
Fred

haresear

QuoteAlex, my understanding is only works with Gortex material.

Of course you are right Fred. It's just that when I see a reference to leaky waders the many leaking pairs of breathables in my loft come to mind :)

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page