News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Stuck rod joints

Started by The General, August 18, 2007, 12:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenwell

Surgical gloves, one either side of the join. First tried it a few years ago and it has NEVER failed me since. I now always carry a pair in the bag. And of course, if you've got your surgical gloves with you then you know that you are prepared for ANY eventuality. :shock:, or perhaps :twisted:. Then again, if you and your fishing buddy are really, really close friends then it might even be  :D

Greenwell

sandyborthwick

Its no just Hardy's Davy,

Fossil fly rods from the states are very light but you just overload the rod a touch and the sections break. The worst is using Gold or tungsten headed flies one crack on the passing cast and its all over - you'd be in Sh*te if the sections got stuck trying to separate them would be a surgical procedure. Must say though that they cast lovely with a light line.

Sandy B.O.

The General

Glad of your comments guys, especially Davy.  Not great to lose faith in a rod especially when it is not particularly cheap.
It cast very well, handles fish very well and breaks easily, so when you go fishing you have to make sure of a reserve rod.
I have asked Greys if there is an inherent fault in these rods and I guess they will say no.   The rod section was replaced in
May under guarantee (no cost) after considerable fuss.   They also tried the "you didn't register within 21 days" rule but
again, I had registered the same day as purchase on their website as instructed.  The only people who couldn't see my
registration was Greys, but again sorted after more fuss.  So I am hoping this section is again replaced free of charge.
I also have a greys waistcoat and all I can say is don't get water in the pockets, coz they dont empty themselves.
My wading jacket seems to be the dogs doo das, so thank goodness something works.

Davie

Pearly Invicta

My brother in law returned a greys traveller 5 piece rod as one section was badly cracked and the all the others had hairline cracks. It was returned with one section repaired and a report that the others were fine.

Clan Ford

Aye, I have had trouble with my Grey's Platinum X - mid section has snapped twice in the cast but I have to say I have had no trouble getting the section repaired - at a cost!

I also have a Greys Streamflex, (10ft 4 weight) which is a lovely light rod and so far, touch wood, has been fine.  I suppose time will tell.

Norm

Malcolm

From a practical point of view the good rods of 15 years ago were much better:
for most purposes they cast just as well (and for short distances I would argue that glass fibre is better than even the best modern rods) and were far more robust. The weight differential is negligible especially on the shorter rods. The only faults I have had on rods were on two Hardy rods both very expensive very light, and good to cast. BUT, only very little lighter and no better to cast with than my 1991 David Norwich 4 piece and it has shrugged off little accidents that I am certain would have knackered the more modern rods.

New clothes? What about you Emperor old mate? Very light...
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

dseabass

2 airflow classics a 9ft and 10ft  also a three piece airflow delta,  had them a good few yrs now no problems apart from  the delta has a habit of coming apart occ.  at the top joint-- its always a wee fear as it disappears into a peaty loch 

mike mac

Have a Greys GRXi rod nae had it a year and now the bottom and middle section joint keeps coming loose. Had a Daiwa whisker before that it never gave any problem only changed because the whisker was starting to become a heavy rod after a full days lashing.

The General

Sent the bits of the middle section that they ask for (top and bottom 4 inches !!!?????) on Monday night and I was
pleasantly surprised that the section arrived Thursday morning.  No arguments no charges but no answer to my question
is it an inherent fault.   All joints now candle waxed.  Probably lose the top two sections now in some extra deep loch  :lol:

Thanks for posts
Davie

fredaevans

Ah yes ..... the old stuck rod joints.  :gay4

Actually the easiest way to get these apart is 'ice.' Take a square of alum foil and fill it with ice cubes. Wrap this around the stuck joint and give it about 10 minutes; the joint will slip right apart.

Next take the left over ice cubes, put in cut glass tumbler, add ............   Well this IS a Scotland based board. :D

Go To Front Page