News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

loch ba

Started by alby, February 28, 2008, 05:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alby

i go up rannoch quite a lot, but have not fished the laidon, or loch ba, is rannoch station the nearest you can get to these lochs,if so how much of a walk is it,and i suppose i would have to be well rigged out ,as its out in the middle of nowhere,any advice?im a bit long in the tooth to be taken a sas survival course,

np01

I've fished the lochs to the west of Loch Ba - Park at the Kingshouse, walk about a mile down the west highland way and when you see the radio transmitter on your right handside hop over the burn and over the hill to the first of 3 lochans. Didn't fish the burn but did have a very enjoyable day walking and fishing the lochans. Spent about an hour on each lochan and had fish to about every 3rd-4th cast - however, they were all bandies, but great day nevertheless. There's a good reference to these wee lochans in Bruce Sandisons "Bible".

flyboy

hi guys, im a newbie to the forum but not to fly fishing. ive been fishing the fly for a couple of years now although it has been mostly stocked waters :roll:. i have fished the tay and earn but only a handfull of times.
i travel to fort william regular and im going to start fishing for the wild browns. is loch ba, tulla good places to start as they are close to the road? do they hold good amounts of fish and where on the loch is productive?

haresear

Hi Flyboy,

Ba is a good choice as it has lots of fish and is shallow, so your fly is never too far from a trout :D

Tulla has some good trout, but there is technically speaking, no bank fishing and the boat fishing is pretty expensive.

I'd try Loch Ba (walk for 20 minutes or so along either north or south banks and you will come to decent water). Don't discount the lochs on the other side of the road. They produce decent fish too.

Any of the burns are worth a throw too.

Good luck,

Alex
Protect the edge.

trout64

many years ago the bus  driver of a of a fishing trip caught a 9lb on the fly at loch ba

Malcolm

I remember reading about that fish. I think it was a Black Pennell that did the deed. However despite a lot of trips to Ba over the years I've never caught a big fish from the lochs in that area but I know of a few very large fish taken, almost all in early season.

The ex- chairman for the West of Scotland FDG used to catch more than his fair share of good trout from these lochs but he fished them with big flies and sunk lines casting as far as he could. 

Malcolm
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Go To Front Page