News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Quick NZ droppers

Started by haresear, March 24, 2008, 10:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

just_steven

This was a quick example of the seamless ring incorporated into the fly.

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

This would be a fairly good idea if you could be arsed tying these (it didn't really take much longer to tie, it's just that the rings are quite fiddly), but how many patterns do you need to tie?

I suppose you may just use a few general big bushy/high floating, searching patterns so you might not need that many?

DON'T use lureflash ring's though! They have very square edges (the packet I have does anyway). I was giving a pull on the end of the nylon and it snapped under very little pressure! Riverge are quite good, but I couldn't find my packet of them.

I used a bit of chewed 10lb mono to attach the ring to this fly

Steve

haresear

QuoteAnother method is to use a small (2.5mm) seamless ring and run both lengths of leader from this to the dry as well as the nymph.

You mean just like a standard dropper Allan, only using the ring instead of the water knot/blood knot? If so, I've never really seen any advantages in this myself other than easy replacement of the dropper.

QuoteThis was a quick example of the seamless ring incorporated into the fly.

Nicely tied Steven, but to be honest I don't see the advantage of the ring here either.

I'm sticking with the de-barbed hooks as it is less hassle and works just fine for me :D

Alex

Protect the edge.

just_steven

Quote from: haresear on March 26, 2008, 02:00:06 PM
I don't see the advantage of the ring here either.
:lol:

Cheers Alex, but to be honest, me either!  :D

I may tie up a few with the rings attached just for something different to try, but as I've never tried NZ style before I have nothing to compare it with.  :dunno
As you say, the way you are doing it is less hassle and works just fine!

Steve

Harpo

NOVICE ALERT !

I usually fish a dry on a dropper and the Nymph below that, what are the benefits of fishing NZ style having the tail fly tied directly to the hook of the dry?

Also would you use the same leader line for fly line to dry & dry to tail fly or differ them for some reason?

Kinda struggling at the moment to get my head round tapered leaders, droppers etc when river fishing.

I always buy pre-tied leaders with 2 droppers for the Lochs !

Harpo

Ah I see, thanks Ardbeg, exactly the two flies I will be trying on the Almond soon so will give it a go.

How long a leader should I use and how much between Dry & Nymph or vary it to river depth etc?

Cheers

haresear

QuoteI usually fish a dry on a dropper and the Nymph below that, what are the benefits of fishing NZ style having the tail fly tied directly to the hook of the dry?

I will often fish a single dry, but if it gets refused, I'll try a nymph on a NZ dropper. It gives me a double chance and I can switch back to the single dry, or alter the length of the dropper by opening up the loop in the uni-knot.

As far as length of dropper is concerned, I tend to have no more than about 3 feet below a dry. If the fish is/are feeding deeper than that, I'll use a heavier nymph or more likely a pair of nymphs, one heavier than the other. The light one is attached NZ style, to the hook-bend and indication is by a piece of yarn, rather than a dry fly.

For leader length... I use as long as I can manage comfortably. Usually this will be around 15 feet or so, but if you are just starting out in nymphing and are fishing a wee treelined river, this is not what you want at all. Eight to twelve feet will do fine for most places.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Harpo

That's great guys thanks, I will try the technique to search the water if I can't see any rising fish.

If there are risers I will delicatley cast my dry fly into the nearest tree  :D

Andrew Moray

I now use the same setup as Allan.
Used to tie my dry onto a very short dropper, about 2-3", but it got time consuming tying a new dropper above that when I wanted to change the dry.
So just added a tippet ring to the tapered leader and add a dropper to that if I want to fish the duo, more flexible I feel.
Especially when you waste the amount of tippet I do due to atrocious technique ...
Still use the NZ style of onto the bend if I'm going to be fishing into a downstream breeze for most for the day, I find I get less tangles with that method, saving more tippet.

Tony

Go To Front Page