News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Canadian canoe

Started by BillBones, April 24, 2009, 12:13:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillBones

Hi, I have seen alot of people with canoes going up and down the A9 and it got me thinking that it would be a great way to get out on a loch. Has anyone here had any experience of fly fishing from one before i start looking at prices.

Any feed back much appreciated :)

Andy.

Hoolet

my mate and i have paddled all over the country in ours,fishing as we go,its an excellent and serene way of getting to places that`d sometimes take hours to walk into,certainly teaches you to sit down to cast thats for sure,comes highly recommended.

Hoolet.
Ye Canny Fry A Rise!

np01

I've got one and have fished from it. Comments would be, in a wind, these things act as a weather vane, i.e. they don't drift perpendicularly to the wind like a clinker boat would, but rather they drift longditudinally. This means you're casting down the length of the boat with the wind. Not a massive problem if there's only one of you in the boat but if there's 2 of you it makes casting difficult as the guy at the front of the boat is always casting over the head of the guy at the rear of the boat. You end up having to cast diagonally and sitting in a permanent twisted position in order to avoid tangles. I've never attached a drougue to the canoe but that might help to adjust the drift, but given the beam of the largest canoe is only 1 metre I think it would be dangerous to attatch a drougue and force the canoe to drift perpendicularly to the wind - they don't like waves across their sides!

The big plus points for canoes is they're easy to transport and carry and can be put in just about anywhere - meaning you can access otherwise inaccessible water. And they can carry surprisingly large amounts of gear. In fact the more weight you have in the canoe, the less it's affected by the wind and the more stable it becomes as it sits lower in the water.

You can hire a canadian canoe from Tiso's for the weekend for ?50 - suggest you try that and see how you like it before splashing out a lot of cash?

Hope that helps

alancrob

I have never fished from 1 in Scotland but I have in Canada.

As np01 says they are great if you are alone. Calm weather is best and manoeverability is great for getting to the best hidden bays and tree lines etc.

If you get the chance to try 1 do.

A.

Malcolm

Great to use and quite stable in the bigger sizes. The cheapest are made of fibreglass but are heavy. I bought a 17 foot one from Bill Pentecost who used to work on a site not far from Braehead Shopping complex for ?260 but it weighed 45kg. The one I am making just now will weigh not much more than half that. Personally I prefer to use them to get to places - e.g islands - than to fish from. There is a type called a scanoe which combines the best of a canoe and a boat and has a transom at one end for an engine. It's quite heavy but having been in one it's the kind I would buy if it was for fishing.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Hoolet

Quite right.

although the access laws allow anyone the right to take a canoe (or any other boat im led to believe) onto any stratch of water,a permit should be bought,thats just for the wild places of course,as for others where boats are available for fishing,and its a revenue stream for those who hold the rights,thats a different matter.That said,when we go,its usually a shufty at the map,decide on a route that includes a decent site for overnight camping then we`re off,love it and believe everyone should give it a go that could.

Hoolet.
Ye Canny Fry A Rise!

BillBones

Cheers for the info guys i think i will hire one ?50 seems reasonable for a weekend there will be two of us so maybe not the best idea for fishing but i will try it out. i have a small fibre glass boat but it weighs a ton was just looking for something that will go on the roof of the car and that i can carry through the rough and on to the water.

thanks again for the replies  :)

Go To Front Page