News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Can anyone advise me about Electric outboard motor.

Started by allco, January 06, 2011, 09:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allco

Can anyone advise me about Electric outboard motor.
I have a stash of vouchers from a local superstore that supplies fishing tackle and I have decided to buy myself an outboard, as I have never owned one could someone advise me as to what size I should go for. I don?t want anything to big or heavy and generally fish smaller lochs no more than 2 in boat approx 10ft Loch Lomond style boats.

Inchlaggan

As powerful a motor as you can afford. Variable rather than set speeds. Remember that the battery and charger will cost you another ?100 or so, and that the battery is blooming heavy. For trolling you will need two batteries to last you a day, and it will take another day to recharge them. Even the most powerful motor/ battery set up will not get a 10ft Lomond and two of you safe in anything but the lightest of weathers.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

The Bandy Man

I asked a similar question, two years ago. Here: http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=9793.0

So, you'll get some info in that thread.

I bought a Shakespeare 44, by the way. I've had no problems with it.

John

Malcolm

There's quite a big increase in price isn't there as the power goes up? This is not wholly accurate but a useful rule of thumb is that by doubling the power of the engine you will get about 25% more speed. If you are caught in a big wind it may be important.

If the electric motor is the sole power then buy a second battery it's surprising how little time you'll get with a single battery -  especially in a wind and even more so with the bigger engine as you WILL run it at full power.

I have to say that I would rather have a small petrol engine - even a 2 hp - than an electric. It will be lighter than an electric and a battery. I use my electric 30lb thrust as a drift controller mostly but I have used it on waters where petrol outboards aren't allowed or on very small lochs.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Wildfisher

I would go for the biggest you can afford. These electric motors are fine where petrol is not allowed, but frankly they are dangerous on a big loch if it gets at all blowy. I have a minkota, 36 , I'd say Drummond loch is its top limit. It's great on wee lochs.

allco

Thanks guys for the info and the link (john) really big help. this helps a great deal.boat may be 12ft but cant be any bigger although bigger boats avail in different club waters. was going to go for the 30lb but looks like ill have to step up to bigger. anyone tried the GAC 44LB own make model.

Highlander

Do not have one but by all account the Minn Kota is is best one out there. What you do need to have though which I think has not been mentioned is a deep cycle leisure type batteryto power it.
And yes get the one with max thrust.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

jaybee

I use a Minn Kota Endura 40 Ibs thrust with a 115 amp/hr leisure battery on small to medium lochs and have had no problems.

Minn Kota are the top of the range electric motors but well worth the money with a great backup service should you require it for spares etc. I got mine via a good retailer in the U.S. (cabelas) which may be an cheaper option to you even with the transport costs although I bought mine a few years ago. Worth a check.

Whatever motor you decide to go for get yourself a good leisure battery not a car battery. These will last a lot longer especially if you get the larger amperage. They are bigger and heavier of course.

Hopes this helps

Jim 

A mate of mine tells me that he bought a battery for his electric motor from a caravan sales centre. He swears by it, might save a few bucks for you. Hope this helps, J

Allan Crawford

I have the 44lb thrust shakey same as John and its ok, Minn Kota are better but offcourse dearer, depends what you want it for, buy cheaper outboard and spend the money you saved on a bigger battery or two bigger batteries ! I only use mind for drift control and stealthy approaches or some times trolling in flat calms always relying on petrol outboards to get me around.
Once on Lochy I jumped in the boat and pushed off to go 100yards to were the car was waiting with trailer, went to start the petrol outboard then realised I had forgot the red cord and couldnt start outboard (boat had been there overnight), never mind its not far I'll use the electric, around the corner and the front of the boat hit the wind, progress stopped and I realise I could be in trouble, pointed the boat at the bank and just managed to get back to the bank, nearly ended up in the middle of the loch in just a medium breeze.

Go To Front Page