News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Completing catch returns - how to do it

Started by myotis, August 02, 2012, 01:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myotis

This may be obvious, but it isn't to me.

The catch return forms I have in front of me both ask about fish weights, but looking online some catch returns are quoting fish lengths.

As a lot of fishing is now C&R, even when it doesn't have to be, what are you meant to fill in.

Only the fish removed from the water (ie killed where you can then weigh them).

Weigh all fish, even if you return them (not a good idea from the fish point of view, so I suspect this is not the case)

Put in a nil return even if you have caught lots of fish, but returned them.

I suspect the answer is to ask each individual angling association as to what they want done, but are there any general principles here that I should be aware of.

Thanks,

Graham

Traditionalist

May differ in various places, but here these things are "take" returns, not "catch" returns. So if you catch ten fish, but only kill and keep four, then your return would be four fish.

In quite a lot of cases/places returned salmon and seatrout are also noted, usually with estimates.  What any particular association, club, owner, etc. wants on the form would have to be specified.

One cast iron rule here is that killed fish MUST be entered on the form immediately. If you are stopped with fish in your possession and they are not on your return form you will be charged with poaching and usually lose your fishing licence ( for life!). That means you could no longer fish anywhere in this country.

TL
MC

myotis

Mike,

Thanks, that makes sense, its confusing that they often seem to be labelled as "catch" returns.

Useful point about having a fish in your possession that isn't on the return, but the return forms I have seem to be completed annually, so I assume this only applies with day tickets.

Graham

Wildfisher

In Scotland salmon (and perhaps sea trout?)   fishing rates (just a tax paid to government)  are based on catches for the beat, so it is, I think, a legal requirement to submit returns. No legal stuff for other fish, but some owners and clubs do insist on returns being completed. They  are all different, some are fish killed only, some include returned fish. I have to put my hands up and admit I never do unless asked then I just take a rough  guess.  I never have been much of a form filler.  :lol:

myotis

Thanks Fred,

I'm not very good with forms either, but there is a threat that if you don't send them in, even nil returns, they may refuse you a replacement license.

In some respects it seems a shame not use this as a way of monitoring the water, but in practice with these things whether its fish or other things, people often make it up.

I know of one case of a landowner sending in water quality monitoring results over several years. When they came check the equipment he had no idea where it was and had to admit to just making up the numbers !!

There is also the famous case of Nigel Lawson as a student doing war work monitoring troops boarding trains, which contributed to  restructuring the railway services to improve troop movements around the country. Years later he admitted to just making his numbers up and reckoned that most of the students employed to do the counts had done the same thing.

Graham

Traditionalist

Quote from: myotis on August 02, 2012, 02:08:23 PM
Mike,

Thanks, that makes sense, its confusing that they often seem to be labelled as "catch" returns.

Useful point about having a fish in your possession that isn't on the return, but the return forms I have seem to be completed annually, so I assume this only applies with day tickets.

Graham

Well, I think it's basically historical, at one time the "catch" would also be the take, and this became common usage.

The term is also used by professional fishermen to indicate what they have actually taken. This of course is often more or less synonymous with what they have caught. Other terms are used for stuff they don't take, "bycatch" being one such term.

The catch returns here are used by the people who control the water to assess the state of the fish stocks, among other things.

TL
MC

Fishtales

I don't fish anywhere that asks for a return. When i did and if it asks for one on the permit I just put nil as I don't take any fish.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Wildfisher

Probaly not in our interests to put in returns other than nil.

Nil= not very good fishng, quiet  water.

10 x 3lbers = permit price doubles next year, water hammered  with eejits..  :lol:

Traditionalist

Quote from: admin on August 02, 2012, 04:09:55 PM
Probaly not in our interests to put in returns other than nil.

Nil= not very good fishng, quiet  water.

10 x 3lbers = permit price doubles next year, water hammered  with eejits..  :lol:

Makes the catch returns useless for assessment. Might also result in stocking, or even overstocking, which is best avoided altogether.

TL
MC

Go To Front Page