News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Biggest flies you use?

Started by nant_fisher, December 15, 2008, 06:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggest flies you use?

1 (2.1%)
4 (8.5%)
22 (46.8%)
8+
14 (29.8%)
Big long shanks and Tandems
6 (12.8%)

Total Members Voted: 27

nant_fisher

On a similar note to Malcom's topic, it would be interesting to see what are the largest flies people on this forum use regularly. I've found myself using increasingly larger flies all the time, regularly I'd say the biggest fly I would use is a size 8, but after my recent excursion up to Cruachan dam I'm going to try and experiment with these larger flies on a couple of different lochs.
Adventure time

haresear

Some of the big dries I use are on longshank 8s and the fly's head and body overlap the hookshank at either end. I also fish lures on longshank 10s or 8s from time to time.

Alex
Protect the edge.

River Chatter

Almost exclusively river fishing for me so a size 12 is plenty big enough and rarely used as a 14 is more useful.  I've got a reasonable collection of bigger flies for salmon and some saltwater flies for bones, but sadly they're not often used  :( Trying to talk my Mrs into Cuba for a couple of weeks next year to put the saltwater flies to use... we'll see she said... Doh!!! Don't know what my excuse is for my lack of salmon fishing really... I need to fix this.

Part-time

For brownies biggest fly i use is a size 8 muddler on the bob when theres a big wave. I use Falkus style tandems with hooks up to size 6 for sea trout but after reading your Cruachan dam report will certainly be giving them a try on the lochs. I also plan to use a damsel style booby tied on a 10 longshank - never heard of anyone using them (or owning up to using them) for wild trout but I can think of a couple of lochs where they may do the trick.
John 

Malcolm

Absolutely enormous. But only occasionally. At least 95% of my fishing would be with flies from 14-18 however,I have a set of flies that I use that are several inches long. Why? Well the first is when I use streamers for brownies in rivers. The flies I use for that are up to size 4. The other reason is that I have a long time ambition to catch a Ferox on the "fly" so when I go out on a big loch like loch Awe I spend an hour or two using enormous lures and a leadcore shooting head on an AFTM 13 rod. I've had good sized brown and Rainbow trout on these but no ferox yet.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

garryh

for a wee while on loch leven i used the original humungus as invented by the late Jock Hodge from Kelty.these were tied on a size 6 longshank with a marabou tail and a wing.these were 4 inches at least and effective for browns of all sizes not just the big fish.

cheers Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

Hans

6/0 for pike, total length approx 8 inches long.
But to be honest, I rarely fish for pike.
Hans

3 weight

Most of my pike flies are tied on 6/0's with about a third on 4/0's.

For trout its probably 14's, although im in the process of filling a box with streamers for the coming season, all tied on longshank 8's.

All my perch lures are tied on longshank 8's.

Go To Front Page