News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Pontack (Elderberry sauce)

Started by Harpo, September 07, 2010, 10:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harpo

The wild berry season is nigh and the local elderberry trees are starting to droop with ripe berries, so before the birds got them I decided to and knocked up his old fashioned sauce last night.

To be used with winter stews, liver, gravies, game & dare I suggest smoked troot :D

Pick yer ripe berries
[attachimg=1]

Remove them from the stalks - a table fork is the tool for this
[attachimg=2]

Add 500 ML Cider Vinegar per 500g prepared berries
[attachimg=3]

Cover and put in a low oven for a few hours, remove and leave to steep over night & sieve into a pan, getting out as much juice as possible.
[attachimg=4]

Add your spicey wintery seasonings & simmer for 20-25 minutes
[attachimg=5]

Sieve again and simmer for a further 5 minutes and pour the sauce into sterilised bottle/s
[attachimg=6]

[attachimg=7]

Folklore advises that you leave it for 7 years before consuming, but a couple of months will be fine and it get's better as it gets older.

Seize the day, the berries are ripe now and the birds are hungry   :D  

RichardL

Looks superb stu. Looking forward to trying it.

Harpo

Quote from: RichardL on September 07, 2010, 10:38:58 PM
Looks superb stu. Looking forward to trying it.

Aye, you can try it 1st :shock:

paulr

I'm getting worried about you pair.I reckon you've been watching too much Hugh Fernly-Whittingstall.

Otter Spotter

Nice one Stu!

I bet that'd be lovely drizzled on a vol au vent or as a coulis with some artichoke hearts  :makefun

But seriously I expect you to bring me some next time we are out as it looks genuinely tasty!
Paulscott
I used to be a surrealist but now I'm just fish.

Harpo

Quote from: paulr on September 08, 2010, 04:00:32 PM
I'm getting worried about you pair.I reckon you've been watching too much Hugh Fernly-Whittingstall.

Aye that's me that watches too much River Cottage :D, I suppose your idea of foraging for food is hanging roon the back of Greggs waiting for the old pasties to get thrown out :roll: :D

Quote from: claretbumble on September 08, 2010, 05:28:36 PM
I prefer to use my berries for alcoholic concoctions!

yeah I did consider Elderberry Port but don't have the rooms for Demijohns etc, have got plans for Bramble Gin though :8)

Harpo

Quote from: claretbumble on September 08, 2010, 10:57:58 PM
Now don't laugh ... I know this sounds horrendous (although not, I'll admit, as bad as Mushroom Vodka), but try bramble whisky. Honestly - absolutely splendid!

I'm afraid I really don't like whisky, so the addition of brambles would probably make it much nicer to me.

Element - if you have the berries in your back garden, give it a go. other versions of the recipe are online.
make sure you have the windows open when cooking with cider vinegar it's eye watering stuff !

I've never seen any sloes round edinburgh, do you make Gin with them?

Cheers

Stuart

Go To Front Page