News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Smoking is good for you

Started by Harpo, December 30, 2006, 11:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traditionalist

Quote from: Harpo on February 12, 2007, 11:59:28 PM
Hi guys,

Aye that's the one...I had given up on that.

See what I mean a bit of let down after the hype!.........I keep meaning to make one..but havnae any fish to smoke....yet !

Thanks for uploading that

Stuart

Preparation is everything, drink the whisky first! ( You need an EMPTY tin! :)  )

( Now what am I going to build from the other 47 empty tins? )

By the way, a drop of single malt in your marinade will give a very good flavour to the fish, but don?t overdo it!

If you want something a little more solid, this works very well;

http://cruftbox.com/cruft/docs/elecsmoker.html

You can use just about any steel drum etc

TL
MC

sandyborthwick

I made a very simple hot smoker about ten years ago got the idea from fishing magazine probably defunct now - great way to get everyone interested in your frozen relics. Its so basic its unreal! 1. Take one redundant old stainless steel sink (best if its the oblong drainer type rather than round) easily found at tip or any scrappies. Cut bowl out with angle grinder (or if the scrappy obliges let him use his equip) and then buy four large penny washers two Short Bolts & two Nuts(Stainless also) - these are placed either side of the Plug hole and Overflow hole and the bolts nip up to close both outlets. Final stage cut thin piece of plywood that overlaps oblong sink by half inch all round then nail 1inch by Half in pine batten around edge like a skirt. Use offcut of Pine Batten in centre of Lid obviously on other side to the skirt to provide lid handle. Nearest hardware store will supply cheap metal grill insert which just sits inside sink to take fish must give 2 inches clearance from sealed plughole and sink bottom. Four breeze blocks act as footings for sink and my little camp stove sits under lovely. Total Cost was about ?5.00 max and the results are great.

Fish prep is easy - very similar to other posts. 1. Gut fish "leaving head on" but get all blood out and of flesh(it will taint otherwise). 2. Split fish so that it lies flat like a flounder (not the head). 3. Spread some salt on a tray placing fish back down and cover with more dry salt until well evenly covered. Leave fish for 45 minutes per pound. 4. Lift fish of tray and wash under fresh water tap loosing all the salt. Then allow fish to dry hanging up (I use hooks through the gills/Head) for 24hrs (my shed is an excellent place for this although have used the washing line in the bathroom before). 5. Cooking is simple Lift out Smoker grill and place one cup of wood chippings (either oak or apple/cherry) in blocked plug hole - replace grill and set fish upon it. Place wooden lid on smoker and position on breeze blocks with Camping stove burning under plug hole. After about 5-10mins wisps of smoke will be escaping from under apron of lid - its cooking now! Leave for 45mins - one hour if you like really heavy smoked taste (trial and error here). Switch of burner/stove and leave for ten minutes to dissipate last of smoke - lift of the lid and enjoy.

Couple of final notes:-

1. Smoker takes about three fish 1-2Lbs in weight per blast.
2. Always use only Oak, Apple/Cherry or other fruit tree - other woods leave the fish acrid and inedible.
3. It takes Max 1Hour to build.(It takes a lot less to eat the product!).
4. Build  a higher garden fence as all the neighbours will want to try! the product - I even get asked when I'm fishing again nowadays.

Any questions or observations glad to have them - not quite PC but I say "Get Smoking".

Sandy B.O.

Go To Front Page