News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

More on knots, strength etc

Started by Wildfisher, April 28, 2006, 10:14:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

We read about all the relative knot strengths. You know, 100% 75% etc etc what does this mean? Is it true? What about different shock performance of different materials?

I spoke about this briefly with Magnus last year trying to figure out how to quantify this stuff. OK, this has been done before, but usually with Mickey Mouse set ups with weights and scales etc. I was thinking  about a more high-tech approach using computer, strain gauge and a decent rig where repeatability of results could be verified and tested. This kind of stuff if right up my street. Never got round to it, mainly because I could not source a suitable strain gauge. I might have to make one.  Anyone have any thoughts on this?

haresear

Fred,

I'm a simple soul, as you have probably realised by now.

Rather than get all yon technical way, Is it not easier to just use say, a water knot v a blood knot on the same piece of line and see which breaks first? Surely that's all that matters? The B.S. is incidental, it is the best knot we are looking for.
Protect the edge.

haresear

QuoteIs it no' just a better idea to go fishing?

Bandy,

This post disnae apply to you. Just means you'll have to pull harder for a break-off when ye catch the electric fence :lol:
Protect the edge.

Fishtales

Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

haresear

Thanks linkmeister Sandy.

Looks like the Reversed Triple Fubar is the knot for me then :wink: .
Protect the edge.

haresear

John,

This season, I could be using granny knots in Pearsalls thread for all the difference it would make. let's just say i have had plenty of time to admire the flora and fauna but not so many fishes.

But like the Murphys, I'm not bitter.
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

I guess it's really all about self education. A fly is a fly is a fly……. :D

Go To Front Page