News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

striking into fish

Started by windknot, September 05, 2009, 01:26:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

windknot

hi chaps
            as a former course angler i cant help but strike or lift into any movement or feel in my fly line fed up losing fish and breaking off in the strike any advice or help welcome
                                                                               cheers

haresear

My solution is pretty simple. If I'm getting broken, I just use stronger line :)

I too was primarily a coarse angler and I used to fish flies on nylon down to 1.5lb :shock:, but now I rarely go below 4lb and more usually it is 5lb or heavier. I very rarely get broken nowadays.

Alex
Protect the edge.

windknot

thanks haresear
                         i still try and go low dia leader as poss when i actually hook into a fish i never get
                        broken only in the strike or pull out of fish i think i need valium or a few beers too
                        slow me up i used to use power gum when fishing long distance ledgering to fine hook lengths
                         using braid that had no stretch but with flouro and nylon you would think you could avoid these snaps
                         i still think if i step up leader less bites but is it a case of more bites less fish or less bites more fish

windknot

perfect sense
                     mate cheers

Go To Front Page