News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Line for centrepin

Started by zeolite, October 27, 2008, 06:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zeolite

Got myself a centrepin for the upcoming grayling season. bit of a bargain as it cost me a ?10 :D
Anyway what line is best to use on it for float fishing? I have been told that maxima is too much of a sinker and braid has been suggested. I have found some cheap stuff on tacklebargains but is this really what I want?

Pin experts help me please.
Schrodinger's troots pictured above.

Clan Ford

Hey Z,

I'm going through the same process myself.  Not purchased a line yet but reckon I'm going to go for Drennan "Float Fish" line.  Seems to get good reviews and not too pricey.  Just trying to decide which breaking strain to go for 4lb I think, maybe 5lb.  Any advice would be good though.

Norm

haresear

I've never tried braid on the 'pin.

I like a floating line myself and that rules out Maxima.  Norm's choice of Drennan Float Fish is a good one. I would go for 4 or 5lb mainline and this will let you fish a 3 or 4lb hooklength giving plenty of security in case of hit some bigger fish in fast water. You can always fish a lighter hooklength if you feel you need to drop down.

I tend to put a whole 100m spool on the reel, but I often trot a long way, maybe 60 yards. 

I usually fish an 18 hook with single maggot, going up to a 16 or 14 for double maggot.

Alex
Protect the edge.

The General

The usual line of choice for floatfishing was bayer perlon as it floated, was clear and had good knot strength and maxima for feeder and waggler work.
Still seems to hold true in the midlands.   Using a centre pin will take some getting used too and if you do catch a big fish like Alex's then watch out for line bind afterwards.   Long trotting will also cause "long winding back in again".  The "real reel" of choice for trotting for the majority is Abu's 704 these days and in the past was the 501 and 506s.  Have a look on ebay to see the loyalty and popularity that these old reels still have.  Catching fish on a centre pin is fun though but more for the man catching a fish now and again rather than one a chuck.

Davie

Clan Ford

Quote from: The General on October 27, 2008, 10:21:46 PM
The usual line of choice for floatfishing was bayer perlon as it floated, was clear and had good knot strength.....

Davie

My peeking about the internet leads me to believe that Drennan Float Fish line and Bayer Perlon are one and the same.

Norm

The General

Would not be the least surprised Norm.   During my long term in Brum there were tackle dealers who were fanatical about Bayer Perlon to the exclusion of all else.   Now it seems the best sellers are just fashionable items.

Davie

haresear

I had ABU 505 and 506 reels and they were not bad for trotting, certainly better than an open faced reel but the centrepin is king in my opinion. It takes a lot of getting used to, but you get tremendous control over the speed and smoothness of the trot. You also can hit bites really fast, as there is no loop of slack to overcome, like can happen with a fixed spool.

I currently :P have an Aerial,Speedia and Okuma Aventis. The Okuma is really excellent for the money, but I like the old Aerial best.

If you are using quite light tackle, it is easy to bat the spool to retrieve line, rather than winding the handles. Maybe it is still a bit slower than a fixed spool, but it is fast enough for me. :)

Alex
Protect the edge.

The General

The aim is to be in constant touch with your bait, to let your bait travel at the same speed and depth as it would do naturally.  You can determine with the correct shotting of your float, just exactly how the fish are taking the bait.  Overall it is probably the most enjoyable way of angling when you get it right and the fish are in the mood.
Here is a link which gives the gist
http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Coarse-Fishing-Articles/stick_float_secrets.html

Davie

haresear

Protect the edge.

zeolite

Some drennan float on its way now courtesy of ebay. :D

thanks for the info and links guys. :D
Schrodinger's troots pictured above.

Go To Front Page