News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

If you were salmon fishing what would you do?

Started by Wildfisher, October 14, 2014, 08:39:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Have 3 days on a mediocre salmon river, for example The Don,  at £25 / day or spend that £75 for one day on a good salmon river like the North Esk?

SoldierPmr

I always think of salmon fishing as gambling I would rather spend 3 days than one as you have more chance of hitting a fish as we all know if it's the wrong day you will come away empty handed.

Wildfisher

Quote from: SoldierPmr on October 14, 2014, 09:16:57 AM
I always think of salmon fishing as gambling I would rather spend 3 days than one as you have more chance of hitting a fish as we all know if it's the wrong day you will come away empty handed.

I'm not sure it's that straightforward. Some rivers offer a better statistical chance  of fish than others - that's why they charge more!  :D Of course if conditions  are bad - for example there is no water - then even the better rivers are unlikely to produce.

Some years ago myself and a guy I used to fish with worked out from our own experiences that when salmon fishing we averaged one fish per six trips. However we were not fishing the better rivers. I wonder if  six trips to the North Esk will produce more fish than 6 trips to The Don, all other conditions being equal.

SoldierPmr

I see your point £75 is a lot of money for one day but I suppose it's a different experience and you could end up having a great day.

Wildfisher

Quote from: SoldierPmr on October 14, 2014, 11:42:13 AM
I see your point £75 is a lot of money for one day

It is, however is it better value for money than 3 days at £25 on a river where you probably won't catch anything?

corsican dave

Quote from: admin on October 14, 2014, 12:01:22 PM
It is, however is it better value for money than 3 days at £25 on a river where you probably won't catch anything?
does depend on how you value a day?

if it's just catching salmon you're interested in: http://stillwatersalmon.com/
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

bibio1

i would always go for the better river. But pick your timing which is difficult.

My friends already had two from the tweed this morn.

Wildfisher

Quote from: bibio1 on October 14, 2014, 12:21:20 PM
i would always go for the better river. But pick your timing which is difficult.

My friends already had two from the tweed this morn.

I think that makes sense. Cheap is not necessarily  value for money.

There were 5 fish caught on Gallery yesterday best 25lb.

superscot

Fred is the £75 job book in advance or pay on the day ! If  its pay on the you have the choice when to go after a wee tad of rain !

SoldierPmr

I've had a rethink on this and fudge it you only live once you might aswell enjoy the expensive day  :)

Go To Front Page