News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

If you were salmon fishing what would you do?

Started by Wildfisher, October 14, 2014, 08:39:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Quote from: hopper on October 14, 2014, 10:18:39 PM
You pay on average £100 per rod for a day on the North Esk for the last 2 months of the season.

Expensive.

But is it really when compared to what some working class folks  are prepared and are clearly able  to pay for their entertainment?

For example last week's Scotland vs Georgia match - cheapest ticket  was £35 - that's  for 90 minutes

That's £23.33 per hour  to watch 2nd division international football.

Pert on the North Esk is about £100 per day right now.

Fish for 8 hours and that's £12.50 per hour for one of the best salmon rivers in Scotland.

Given that choice I know what I'd rather spend my money on!   :8)

alancrob

QuoteThat's £23.33 per hour  to watch 2nd division international football.

At least you knew there would be a few Haddies!

I have just spent a couple of days in Dunkeld - not fishing - and watched some very well dressed ladies and gentlemen catch he-haw for about £200 a pop.  What I did realise watching them is the difference.

They are only there to catch a fish.

As I wandered the bank with my binoculars I saw otters, kingfishers, dippers, red squirrels, a rutting stag and a red kite along with the more normal collection of wildlife. If I had been trout fishing in a similar spot I would still have seen most of this. They saw nothing but the empty water.

I also watched a couple on a boat, with a ghillie, fishing worms which is against the Tay regulations for October. That is how desperate they were. I watched another couple with their feet up having a drink while the ghillie trolled up and down the faster water (I am sure the salmon fraternity will call it something posh but it was trolling!). As you can see from the picture perhaps not the best of conditions.

I have tried Salmon fishing a few times, including this very beat, with no success. Too little water, a heatwave and a flash flood being some of the reasons. Never a refund offered. Just too bad. Not for me. Possibly different if the permit for my trout fishing covered the salmon season as well as it does some places.

A.

rubberwellie

Quote from: alancrob on October 15, 2014, 04:43:06 PM
I watched another couple with their feet up having a drink while the ghillie trolled up and down the faster water (I am sure the salmon fraternity will call it something posh but it was trolling!). As you can see from the picture perhaps not the best of conditions.

The method you mention is called harling.  It isn't everyones cup of tea, however it is the only way some of the lies can be covered properly on a river as huge as the Tay.
Let them go.

Hoolet

They are only there to catch a fish.

Have to say that's a wee bit of a sweeping generalisation there is it not?

I've fished for Salmon all over this country and others and I'd say I'm well used to being found at the end of the day empty handed, the older I get the less it bothers me......oh, and even when out Harling there's always plenty of time to look around.

Hoolet.
Ye Canny Fry A Rise!

alancrob

QuoteHave to say that's a wee bit of a sweeping generalisation there is it not?

Perhaps more specific to those I was watching who were willing to fork out £1k+ for a couple of days fishing and a room in the nice hotel.

As I said for those who choose it as part of a whole year fishing package it may be different.

A.

Inchlaggan

Back to the original question, I'd take the expensive option. Choice of day seems to be troubling a few forumites, the answer is pretty simple. The best day is always after rain, just enough mind, not too much. It is simple to calculate when this happens with 100% accuracy.
Yesterday.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Wildfisher

rubberwellie

Quote from: alancrob on October 16, 2014, 03:17:16 PM
Perhaps more specific to those I was watching who were willing to fork out £1k+ for a couple of days fishing and a room in the nice hotel.

If you can afford it why not?
Let them go.

Go To Front Page