News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Tay Salmon - Net fishing memories

Started by tomcatin, August 10, 2009, 12:12:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcatin

Searching the racks of WH Smith for the latest issue of Open Rugby (essential reading for exiled tykes) I glanced at the fishing magazines and nestling amongst T&S, TM, FF&FT etc was a wee paperback publication entitled 'Tay Salmon - Net Fishing Memories'.

This wee book has been produced jointly by Fife Rural Partnerships, Tay Regeneration Project and the Tay Salmon Fisheries Company. The later operated the netting stations on the Tay until they were taken out of production in 1996 (and now operates the Cargill beat on the Tay and the Willowgate fishery below the Friarton Bridge).

The book is made up of a series of memoirs of a wide range of individuals who worked at the netting stations on the Tay and records all the supporting crafts such as the net makers, boat builders and fitters It is an excellent social record of a now defunct industry.

I have long been fascinated by the site of the isolated bothies dotted along the banks of the Tay, particularly noticable driving along the road from Newburgh to Balmerino, so this booklet really brought that world to life

The book costs ?7.50, runs for 64 pages is very well illustrated with a mix of B&W and colour photos.

Apart from WH Smith in Perth I am not sure of where else this is available; regardless it is very highly recommended.   
Sadly my 7' 5 weight that killed fascists is deceased!

So in respect and in memorium, PLEASE DONATE TO AND SUPPORT THE WILD FISHING FORUM

Go To Front Page