News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Waterproof slingpacks

Started by arawa, October 29, 2020, 05:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arawa

My preferred fishing bag is a Patagonia Sling Pack which suits me very well except it is as water resistant as tissue paper and I was wondering about a waterproof version - in response to being asked what I want for Christmas.
The Patagonia waterproof sling (which I have not seen) is bigger than I want at 20L.
I have seen the Orvis waterproof sling but, apart from the amazing price  :shock:, I would like more tool attachment points on the front strap and the ability to strap my rod to the pack.
I have not seen the Fishpond Thunderhead Sling but, except for the gopping colours, it seems to have what I want.
The Simms Dry Creek looks pretty decent, but again I have not seen one in the flesh.
Anyone have any experience with the Fishpond or the Simms, or any other ideas?
Thanks

caorach

I don't have much in the way of helpful stuff to add but...

Have you considered going with something that isn't waterproof and putting anything that needs to be dry in a "drybag" type arrangement? This allows you to mix wet and dry stuff in the one bag. I find that if I'm out on a wet day then there will be things that do get wet because I have them out but I also want my insulating layer to stay dry while it is in the bag so it goes in a drybag and the wet stuff can go into the same rucksack without my worrying about keeping dry stuff dry.

I'm sure you've thought of this and found it doesn't work for you but thought to mention it anyhow just in case.

Wildfisher

I had an Orvis sling pack, bought it in the late Banchory shop, can't remember if it was waterproof or not. Didn't keep it long, I just could not get on with it. Sold it to Corsican Dave before the rain started. :)

arawa

Quote from: caorach on October 29, 2020, 06:05:26 PM
I don't have much in the way of helpful stuff to add but...

Have you considered going with something that isn't waterproof and putting anything that needs to be dry in a "drybag" type arrangement? This allows you to mix wet and dry stuff in the one bag. I find that if I'm out on a wet day then there will be things that do get wet because I have them out but I also want my insulating layer to stay dry while it is in the bag so it goes in a drybag and the wet stuff can go into the same rucksack without my worrying about keeping dry stuff dry.

I'm sure you've thought of this and found it doesn't work for you but thought to mention it anyhow just in case.

Thanks Philip, but I am after a proper waterproof bag this time.

Bobfly

One approach to render your Orvis one much more waterproof is to mix clear silicone sealer from a cartridge into a jar and add white spirits approx 50:50. Stir vigorously for a while and it will then dissolve, then use a half inch brush and paint it on all over .... except the zips! Hang it up to dry in a few hours.This will work on almost any fabric and give a fresh lease of life to the old one. Keep the old one for better days and the new Xmas present one for dire forecast days.  :)
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Bobfly

Meant to say paint the older Patagonia one, not Orvis.

arawa

Quote from: Bobfly on October 29, 2020, 08:01:04 PM
One approach to render your Orvis one much more waterproof is to mix clear silicone sealer from a cartridge into a jar and add white spirits approx 50:50. Stir vigorously for a while and it will then dissolve, then use a half inch brush and paint it on all over .... except the zips! Hang it up to dry in a few hours.This will work on almost any fabric and give a fresh lease of life to the old one. Keep the old one for better days and the new Xmas present one for dire forecast days.  :)

I don't go out on dire forecast days anymore  :D. But I have been out on some dire unforecast days!
Interesting thought Bobfly. I did try the Nikwax waterproofer but it was not a success; in fact it was most successful at stopping the rain getting out...

Bobfly

Some Nikwax in the fabric may well reduce the silicone adhering to the fabric fibres but you should still have quite a good soaking in. I have done this treatment on rucksack materials and it works well on canvas.

Hill loch gold

I bought 1 of these the other day

https://se.looptackle.com/product/dry-backpack-25-l/

When i'm out in the tube i leave my bag sitting on the bank all the time. No good if the rain comes on and everything gets soaked through.

arawa

Quote from: Hill loch gold on October 29, 2020, 09:35:19 PM
I bought 1 of these the other day

https://se.looptackle.com/product/dry-backpack-25-l/

When i'm out in the tube i leave my bag sitting on the bank all the time. No good if the rain comes on and everything gets soaked through.

Thanks. I already have an almost identical version by Overboard (very good) but if I am fishing light - as I usually do these days - I really like the convenience of a small sling pack.

Go To Front Page