News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Too good to be true??

Started by arawa, October 30, 2020, 02:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

It might be factory seconds  they are selling. The Tackle Bargains company used sell branded rods, reels etc for way below list price. I bought a few myself with no issues. On inspection you would find minor flaws etc in the finish, but the gear was perfectly fine.

arawa

Quote from: admin on November 01, 2020, 07:06:15 PM
It might be factory seconds  they are selling. The Tackle Bargains company used sell branded rods, reels etc for way below list price. I bought a few myself with no issues. On inspection you would find minor flaws etc in the finish, but the gear was perfectly fine.
One range I looked at (I think Paramo) had a mixture of "perfect" and "factory seconds".
In a way, I hope nothing arrives because if it does it is going to cost me a fortune (and my marriage) when I put in a giant second order!

fergie

Quote from: admin on November 01, 2020, 07:06:15 PM

I'd forgotten about tackle bargains. I bought a lot of lures off them at one time.
They were one of the few companies in the country who sold Luhr Jensen lures.

arawa

Nothing delivered yet or any notification of despatch. According to the website my order "is being processed".

johnny boy

Hope your not the one being processed 😜

arawa

Quote from: johnny boy on November 08, 2020, 02:28:29 PM
Hope your not the one being processed 😜

Every chance Johnny! I accept I have bought a lottery ticket rather than placed an order :roll:

arawa

Well, it is a bit over 2 weeks since I placed my order and no delivery or change in the order status which is still shown as "processing".
I have sent an email asking when I might expect delivery but no response.
It looks as if my initial thought that the site was too good to be true might be correct. Still, nothing ventured nothing gained.....

Sean Freeman

My thoughts with those sites are they might be collecting PayPal emails, postal addresses, phone numbers etc and then selling the information to telemarketing or scammers. Surely that's the only way they can make any money from such a venture?

arawa

Quote from: Sean Freeman on November 14, 2020, 12:41:20 PM
My thoughts with those sites are they might be collecting PayPal emails, postal addresses, phone numbers etc and then selling the information to telemarketing or scammers. Surely that's the only way they can make any money from such a venture?

Quite possibly. If a scam, it obviously makes money somehow.
There has been no suspicious activity on my Paypal or card accounts (difficult for them with 2-factor authentication and I do not give the number away).
I run a mail server to filter my emails as I have had the domains for 20+ years  and they get a lot of spam (not helped by a New Zealand woman with an address the same as one of mine plus the NZ suffix who signed up to various sites without using the suffix  :roll:). I have not, yet, seen any spam coming to the address I used with this site.
A puzzle.

arawa

I have concluded that this site is indeed too good to be true. No reply to 3 emails asking for a delivery date and no change in my order's "status" since it was placed. Also, the site's email address has changed weekly.
I will start a Paypal refund claim on Monday.

Go To Front Page