News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Floating line advice

Started by Troot, November 20, 2020, 07:28:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troot

Hi all,
I'm finally getting back in to some fishing again after a few years of doing v little. I'm still using a floater that I got from Fred many moons ago. The line served me very well but think it's time to get a replacement. Thing is...I've no idea where to start.
Usually I'd fish a double taper #5 coupled with my Gatti FRM 9ft. I focus mainly on dry fly in rivers with no real long casting required.  I went to angling store today and saw what seemed like hundreds of varieties... lost...Any recommendations?
Cheers,
Tom

Wildfisher

Pretty much all are good these days. You can't go wrong with Scientific Anglers and Rio, expensive but great and last a long time.

arawa

Quote from: admin on November 20, 2020, 07:35:11 PM
Pretty much all are good these days. You can't go wrong with Scientific Anglers and Rio, expensive but great and last a long time.

Scientific Anglers (excellent lines) are owned by Orvis and make the Orvis lines. I have just had a voucher offering £25 off Orvis products which brings down the price down to a more reasonable level - and it is worth keeping an eye on their sale page as I bought some one year for £20.
I like the Orvis "Trout" lines on my light rods - now on my fourth season with one. I also agree with Fred that most lines are good these days - but I have not tried Airflo again after my hopeless early experience with them!

Troot

Thanks guys.
Do you both use WF for dries on river? I see most lines are sold in that design.

Wildfisher

I use WF lines for everything. As long as the head of the WF is within the tip ring they feel  pretty much the same.

arawa

Quote from: admin on November 20, 2020, 09:43:50 PM
I use WF lines for everything. As long as the head of the WF is within the tip ring they feel  pretty much the same.
Ditto.

Laxdale

I got two and a half seasons use out of a Barrio floater. That is with zero line care  You can buy three for the price of a Rio line .

nacnud

Another vote for Barrio lines, especially at the price. I particularly like the SLX and the small stream. Worth emailing Mike Barrio, he's very helpful in matching his lines to your fishing etc. You need to watch some of the other makes as they tend to make the lines a half to one size heavier than stated. Barrio lines have full details of head length and line weights.

Wildfisher

The cheap "clone" lines are OK, but lines from Rio / SA etc are vastly superior and I say that as one who used to sell lines myself. The coatings of  premier brands are much smoother and the lines last longer. I bought 2 x Rio and one SA line of different weights 5 years ago and they are still as good as they were then and shoot more effectively than any other lines I have used. Alex who is the best angler I know by a mile was telling me this for years and I wish I'd listened to him sooner.  The absolute best line I have owned is an SA trout taper, it was a revelation to cast. 

Buy cheap lines if that's all you can afford, but don't expect a Ferrari if you buy a Lada.    :lol:

Laxdale

I use quite a few Rio salmon lines. They are just as capable of falling to bits as any other line.

Go To Front Page