News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Jetboil

Started by Wildfisher, March 28, 2021, 12:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Was thinking about buying a Jetboil or perhaps a Clone-Boil. :lol:

I want something light and compact

Anyone got a recommendation ?

caorach

I have the MSR Windburner Fred and all I can say is it has always worked for me and is, indeed, relatively capable in the wind.

The problem with asking opinions for a lot of this stuff is that people have owned one, but not all of them, and so can really only tell you what the one they own is like and clearly I'm in the same position. All I can say is that it has worked for me and I find that it does seem better than anything else I have (several other MSR stoves plus Crusader and the likes) in the wind. It also remains pretty efficient in the wind whereas some of the stoves I have take for ever to boil. It isn't super lightweight and I guess it also isn't super compact but I actually find the decent water capacity useful as I would often use the freeze dried type meals and they get through a lot of water so when you add a cup of tea on top you are probably getting close to the 1l capacity. The design is pretty well thought out though sometimes the slide on handle/cosy thing can be a little bit annoying but I'm told the Windburner has the best one of those so it might be the best of a bad job.  I guess the other down side is they are expensive but I've had a lot of cups of tea and meals out of mine now and if I lost it would buy another one plus it has basically been the only stove I've used since I bought it so for me it has been a step up in efficiency and convenience.

Wildfisher

Thanks Philip. I can't decide whether to go down the Jetboil route or just stick with my mini Trangia which is very light weight but slow. The speed is probably not an issue as I'm only heating a cup of water at a time. I'll dig it out and see if it still works.

Bobfly

I know quite a few canoe folk who use Jetboil types as they have cargo room. They reckon them to be quick and reliable. Climbing, hill walking or fishing I have never taken a stove on a day out. Quite often taken a hot flask but usually a litre of cold drink in a plastic Nalgene. Shocking behaviour.  :shock:
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

arawa

Not what you asked  :D but I can't see past my mini Kelly Kettle which is much smaller and lighter than any combination of stove and kettle. I carry a few waxling firelighters in the chimney and one is enough to boil a mug of water pretty quickly.

https://www.ghillie-kettle.co.uk/product-page/mkettle-silver-1

caorach

Quote from: admin on March 28, 2021, 03:55:22 PM
Thanks Philip. I can't decide whether to go down the Jetboil route or just stick with my mini Trangia which is very light weight but slow. The speed is probably not an issue as I'm only heating a cup of water at a time. I'll dig it out and see if it still works.

In the end part of it is about how it sits in your plan for the day - as David said the Kelly is a good job if you want to gather up a few sticks etc. and getting the fire going and waiting for the water can be part of slowing you down and making you sit about and think so it can serve a purpose other than just heating the water. Sometimes it isn't about efficiency. At that point only you can decide what works for you.

Wildfisher

I did think about a kelly Kettle  :)  I dug out my mini Trangia which has not seen daylight for at least 5 years. It was badly corroded and needed a new o-ring  (I had a spare).  a bit of work with a brillo pad and i soon had it fuelled and tested. Not the fastest, but very small and light. Might just stick with that for now. :D

Wildfisher

This is the one I have.

https://www.blacks.co.uk/15893147/trangia-mini-trangia-cookset-15893147/?istCompanyId=d92b362f-ac8a-4a8a-87ca-c56eafad7955&istFeedId=2f99410f-1124-43d5-8232-86c184f09479&istItemId=iqllatpap&istBid=tzlt&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0oCDBhCPARIsAII3C_FbmZUyuqhDtA-5E9kHOc79SeTj_JxKYjuX3GSvnM1HZQBdBKVu8ZcaAjqKEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I added an ultra light wind shield and it all fits inside the pot. Have to carry a small bottle of meths of course.

Fine for a cup of tea or soup, but not much use for a full blown meal. As Philip suggests it's as much about the ceremony and chilling out as anything else. :D

burnie

I'm just taking a hip flask these days..............................................

sagecirca

I use a MSR pocketrocket and MSR titanium kettle and cup. Lightest I've found...

[attachimg=1]

Go To Front Page