News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Jetboil

Started by Wildfisher, March 28, 2021, 12:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caorach

Quote from: sagecirca on March 31, 2021, 02:11:20 PM
I use a MSR pocketrocket and MSR titanium kettle and cup. Lightest I've found...

I did have one of those cannister top type stoves but found that, even with a wind shield, it was sometimes hard to keep it lit in breezy conditions even if I was careful about picking my spot etc. plus in the wind boil times could really increase. However there is no question they are super lightweight and very handy but I've kind of moved away from them. That's a nice spot for some tea :-)

Robbie

Some of those jetboil stoves are a fair old price. Fred are you looking for something to cook a meal on or make a cuppa?

Have to admit to being tempted by a kelly kettle, mainly for the relaxed and traditional feel. Never used one but have seen them used and they don't take too long to heat water. Especially if you carry a pre-prepared load of fuel.

The tackle tart in me does like the look of the jetfoil stoves. When i take to the hills i tend to use boil in the bag meal for convenience.

Nostalgia means I carry a Trangia stove, I used one at school and when doing DoE. Reliable robust, but heavy with the fuel bottle.

Wildfisher

Not cooking Robbie, just making  a cuppa

Terrier

Quote from: admin on March 28, 2021, 05:47:03 PM
I did think about a kelly Kettle  :)  I dug out my mini Trangia which has not seen daylight for at least 5 years. It was badly corroded and needed a new o-ring  (I had a spare).  a bit of work with a brillo pad and i soon had it fuelled and tested. Not the fastest, but very small and light. Might just stick with that for now. :D

Love my kelly kettle too, as you can see from my profile pic!
Although if away camping, it's just a wee Aplkit burner I use.

caorach

Quote from: admin on April 01, 2021, 08:12:22 AM
Not cooking Robbie, just making  a cuppa

It is really worth getting some freeze dried food Fred, I know that decent stuff is expensive but being honest if you were to be making yourself a decent meal at home you wouldn't pay much less and you can't beat a chicken curry or the like beside the river or loch. Also you don't really eat out by the river or loch that many times in a year so when you spread the cost out over a whole season then I think it is worth while. If the river is handy for your house then it also means you can go out for lunch, have a few casts, feed yourself, and make good use of your time.

For what it is worth I've tried a lot of the freeze dried foods and while most are passable my experience has been that the more you spend the better and more tasty the food is and I've found the Real Turmat stuff worth the extra cost in many cases but it will work out around £10 per meal. Expensive I know but if you went down the pub for a drink or even decided to have a decent fry in the house then sitting by the loch with birds tweeting, fish rising, interesting moss, weird looking stones etc. makes the extra few quid all worthwhile.

https://basecampfood.com/collections/real-turmat

Go To Front Page