News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Reel

Started by superscot, March 20, 2008, 12:05:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

superscot

Gents any recommendations for a wee cheap reel for the laddies rod ...line rating 6/7 and nay mare than say ?50 ....a couple of spare spools in as well would do the trick !!!!!

The General

http://www.mullarkeys.co.uk/fishing/Fishing-Reels/Trout-Fly-Fishing-Reels/1/

I bought a vision koma reel two years ago and it has done me well.  I am still in the brigade of a reel only being a
line holder for trout unless the trout conveniently takes up all the spare line then I will play him from the reel.
Buy a wider arbour reel and you should not get the line jamming as you will in some of the thinner reels (even hardy).

Seems to be loads of suitable reels on the site and lines to fill them.

Davie

alancrob

I was just about to give the same link  http://www.mullarkeys.co.uk/fishing/Fishing-Reels/trout-fly-fishing-reels/
Good range of reels within your budget. Greys GRXiR Fly Reels with 3 extra spools - ?49.99! I was looking myself this week. I agree mostly with The General, reel is for holding line.

Alan

haresear

I must say I don't agree about the reel just being a line-holder, but I recognise that it depends where you are fishing and what you can reasonably expect to catch from there.

I have an unused Greys GRX 5/6 with spare spools somewhere and for a donation of a tenner plus postage to the forum, it's yours.

I'll PM tomorrow once I've found the beast.

(I agree with The General about the Koma. Good reel for the dosh).

Alex
Protect the edge.

The General

Alex you are lucky (sorry I do really mean well skilled) in the quality and size of fish that you catch.  Your river fishing would be mostly short lining and the connection with the reel would be certainly much quicker than the predominately loch fishing I do.  When a fish takes you just as the fly is emerging from the water, it is difficult and also time consuming to get the line on the reel.   I am still aiming to try and make a visit to you to acquire some of your skills.   If you ever feel like having a more relaxing time and do a bit of loch fishing up this way, you are more than welcome.
As an aside but relevant to a few things being posted on the site about fly lines.   Boat fishing really does do your fly line in and
I am sure again that most would agree that a competant angler would manage to cast a "poorer" quality line as being recommended by breac etc.  I am a hundred percent behind using these cheap lines in boats especially when most of the time
you are casting with the wind and the presentation is not as critical (mostly) as it would be on the river.

Hope your leg is on the mend
Davie

Go To Front Page