News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Down sizing

Started by Clan Chief, May 02, 2008, 10:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clan Chief

I have used a Daiwa Lochmor weight 7 for a few years now in fact all my rods have been weight 7 but I am considering down sizing to a weight 5 for rivers and hill Lochs. What are differences I will notice if I decide to downsize. I was wondering if the Daiwa wilderness rods go to a 5. Can any one recommend a No 5 rod?

Wildfisher

The first thing you?ll notice is the need for better casting technique in windy weather! The next thing you?ll notice is less fatigue, especially if you go for a 9 foot rod rather than a 10. I have more or less stopped using 10 foot rods now, any advantage the extra foot gives when boat fishing is minimal in my view. I have a cupboard full  of rods now but always come  back to the lightest, stiffest and fastest  rods I own, like the Bloke and the new Nielsens I bought for 30 quid or so off ebay! My advice would be try a rod out before you buy it if at all possible. The Grey?s Streamflex and Sharpes Gordon seem to go down well with a lot of folk I know. I never buy Daiwa rods now as all the ones I have ever cast with have been soft and slow. After a year or so on the 5 weight you?ll probably be wanting a 4   :D

haresear

You won't be able to cast as far, but only marginally.

You won't get tired as easily and you will get more fun from your fish.

You should feel more takes due to the lighter line and probably catch more fish as a result.

You can always stick a 6 line on your rod if the wind gets up too much, or if you need to cast a weighted fly.

Having said all that, if I were you I wouldnt sell the #7 mind you as you will need it on occasion on really windy days.

Personally, I very rarely use anything heavier than a #6 rod these days and mostly it is a 4 on rivers or a 5 on lochs.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Clan Chief

QuoteHaving said all that, if I were you I wouldnt sell the #7 mind you as you will need it on occasion on really windy days.

I wont be . I do like my No 7 and will keep that for my local loch. like the idea of the lighter rod for hill lochs where you really don't have to cast too far anyway.

Malcolm

You may never go back! I use a Hardy Gem 6 piece 8.5ft #5 or a Steve Parton 7.5ft 5 piece 3/4 for the hill lochs. They are both ideal.

Malcolm
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Dougie Smith

Quote from: admin on May 02, 2008, 10:34:49 PM
especially if you go for a 9 foot rod rather than a 10. I have more or less stopped using 10 foot rods now, any advantage the extra foot gives when boat fishing is minimal in my view.

Do you not see the advantage of a ten footer in a float tube? I ask because my own #5 is 8.5ft and I was considering getting a ten footer for the tube, maybe a Bloke. However, if there's no point then I won't bother.
Cheers,
Doug.

Wildfisher

Doug, I have fished from the tube in a lot of lochs now, big and small,  with 7 foot, 8 foot, 8 1/2 foot,  9 foot and 10 foot rods. I can't say I notice the longer rods have any advantage. They are harder to handle in fact and result in more fatigue - that's how I find them anyway. Now I just stick with a 9 foot rod for just about everything I do, although if going on a small overgrown burn  I would use a shorter rod. What it comes down to is personal preference. Try a few, see which you get on best with and take it from there. You could go to Haddo and experiment. Mike has rods of various lengths you can try (or at least used to).

wag99

Quote from: Clan Chief on May 02, 2008, 10:23:15 PM
I have used a Daiwa Lochmor weight 7 for a few years now in fact all my rods have been weight 7 but I am considering down sizing to a weight 5 for rivers and hill Lochs. What are differences I will notice if I decide to downsize. I was wondering if the Daiwa wilderness rods go to a 5. Can any one recommend a No 5 rod?

I am currently doing the same myself, dropping from a 9'-6" #7 to 8' #4, having used the smaller set-up I noticed better presentation and less fatigue on my arm. I also found it easier to use with the tube.

Malcolm

Quote from: Sandfly on May 03, 2008, 11:20:35 PM
I have to agree about 10 ' rods causing fatigue, I used to use them all the time in the tube but since using 9' rods it is much easier on the arm and wrist. I don,t think it has cause any disadvatage while dibbling a bob fly either.

Davy.

One of the rods I've been using a lot lately is a 10.5 ft 4/5. It causes no more fatigue than a much shorter rod. Where it differs is the length of the handle which is about 16 inches long and I think this makes a difference
there's a picture of the handle here
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.tackle-mac.com/images/SR10WTpup.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.tackle-mac.com/beulah__switch__rods.htm&h=216&w=864&sz=25&hl=en&start=4&um=1&tbnid=BmM8AbQYJlipIM:&tbnh=36&tbnw=145&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbeulah%2Bswitch%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dopera%26rls%3Den%26sa%3DN
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Go To Front Page