News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Recovery

Started by Its Me, February 02, 2020, 05:46:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Its Me

I am thinking of getting vehicle recovery from the likes of AA,RAC,Green Flag or any other.
What's your thoughts and experiences on this.
Who would you recommend.
There's a fair bit of difference in the price between the likes of AA and Green Flag.

A

ianmck

I have used the AA previously and they were very good. I wasn't a member though and literally phoned up and joined when I was broken down on the road. It only took a couple of minute to register details and they were right out so I'm not sure there is any benefit to paying for something until you need to use it. Unless there is other benefits I am not aware of.

Hill loch gold

I'm with RAC. I never bothered with anything like this until a couple of years ago, when i had an incident with 1 of my cars at edinburgh airport when i arrived back from holiday. My car was fine when i dropped it and the keys off at the airport car park, but i got it back 2 weeks later with a broken spring and front wheel rubbing off the arch, no way i could've drove it home.....ended up having to pay about £300 to get it recovered to my local garage. I haven't had to use RAC yet, so couldn't give you any info on what there service is like.  Think it cost's about £19 a month for mine and the wifes cars.

arawa

This week my brother locked himself out of his car (phone inside!) on a Highland road some 30 miles from Inverness. He managed to get a message to me and I contacted the RAC to help him.
Once I convinced the call centre (in Birmingham??) that I could not provide a post code for a lay-by the response was brilliant with assistance in an hour.
Slightly scary how easy it was to open a locked car :shock: :shock:

Its Me

Quote from: ianmck on February 02, 2020, 06:30:36 PM
I have used the AA previously and they were very good. I wasn't a member though and literally phoned up and joined when I was broken down on the road. It only took a couple of minute to register details and they were right out so I'm not sure there is any benefit to paying for something until you need to use it. Unless there is other benefits I am not aware of.
Maybe it's changed but I remember reading years ago that if you broke down and joined the AA or RAC that day they would not assist you for 24 hrs.
If that's the way it is now all the better,as you say no benefit in buying something you don't need.

A]

Its Me

Just had a look at reviews for start rescue Tony.
Nearly all very positive.

A

Wildfisher

Over the years I've been with The AA, the RAC and Green Flag plus various other covers provided by ASDA, Tesco etc etc

Can't pick above  the other as I have never had to call them.

That's because I drive a Japanese car albeit made in the UK  :lol:

ianmck

Quote from: Its Me on February 02, 2020, 08:04:10 PM

Maybe it's changed but I remember reading years ago that if you broke down and joined the AA or RAC that day they would not assist you for 24 hrs.
If that's the way it is now all the better,as you say no benefit in buying something you don't need.

Nah they were great, my CV joint went while driving on the motorway near stirling and I broke down right in the middle of the roundabout just outside the services. You just phone them up and there is an option for non members which is just registering details. They were there within 20minutes and they even phoned the police to come and make sure all was safe. Towed the car to the garage and then dropped me off wherever I wanted to go in town.

Noddy

I used to pay for AA membership, had cover including recovery.  I used to do at least 1500 miles a month all over Scotland, used it a couple of times.  Last year I cancelled it and took a similar package with my car insurance.  Saved a fair bit of cash.

Jim

burnie

I get my RAC with my bank account, have used them a couple of times and once a phone call advice got me going again when my brakes stuck on.

Go To Front Page