News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Spey casting help

Started by Malcolm, February 13, 2006, 10:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcolm

I need a bit of help with a speycasting problem which only happens with a double handed rod casting left-handed. The line goes out fine and long but but with a not very lovely downstream curve. As I say it doesn't happen with  single handed rods nor does it happen with my right hand at the top and I can't figure it at all. I am a very competent caster otherwise which makes it all the more frustrating. Any ideas?
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Malcolm

To jaw like this

spey_caster

I have also suffered from this at times and it 'appears' more often than not when using my weak hand. I'm no expert but you are possibly unconciously, letting the rod tip drift slightly downstream as the line is in flight, then bringing it back in line with where you initially intended landing the fly as the cast is being completed. i.e. the rod tip is describing a downstream arc, putting a curve in the line which will create a downstream mend. I've 'cured' this when it happens to me by conciously moving the rod slightly upstream. This is also useful when requiring an upstream mend. The more movement (it doesn't require a lot) upstream the more curve created in the line and as usual with spey casting timing is everything.

spey_caster

I knew there was a cast called the 'curve cast' which puts a mend in the line and found an article on the net which explains it better than I can. The article talks about single handed rods but should be no different for double handers
http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/ngto/art0501.html

Might be totally off track but it desribes the effect you are experiencing and will give you something to think about.

Malcolm

I'll nip down the Leven after work tomorrow and try it. I'll let you know how I get on
To jaw like this

Go To Front Page