News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Boat fishing. (drogue question)

Started by Dougster, April 01, 2006, 09:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougster

Should I buy one for my personal use on the club boat or can I make one (as someone suggested) out of a rope and a bucket with the bottom cut out.

Any other tips appreciated.

Dougster (still a newbie)

Wildfisher

Buy a black and decker (or similar) garden tidy sheet from b+q,  tie rope to the handles criss-cross, then your main rope from where they meet in the middle. Have used this for years with no problem. A bucket would be useless in wind I think. Rope should be plastic clothes line, dead cheap and strong. You don’t want to use string as it tangles like hell and will drive you mad. If that is not clear, I'll take a photo of mine and put it on if you like.

haresear

Fred,

I've spent ages sorting out tangles on the drogue. I can't believe I never thought of using plastic coated rope.
Just as well one of us has brains......
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Alex, it does not even have to be plastic coated, the thicker, braided type stuff does not tangle easily either. As long as it's not too thin (and you keep Bandy Catcher away  from it  :lol: ) it's fine.

dibbler

Hi

Off at a bit of a tangent. I found an article in FF & FT a couple of years ago from Ireland for a single person drogue. Idea being to setup a triangle of rope using the boat rings on the bow and stern, these have a continuous rope to a ring in the middle (outside of the boat). Here is where the drogue line is attached, forming a large triangle with the drogue sitting out of the back. By doing this the drogue position and more importantly the boat position can be altered, either by moving towards the bow or stern allowing the boat to move. This idea was suggested for use by single anglers in the boat, no need to use the oars and disturb the water.

I've still try this method, however I plan to once the water warms and the boat is of use. If you want to know more I will try and get the article copied or find the original reference.

Cheers,

Dibbler

PS Ebay sometimes has some decent offerings, I do like the idea of the garden sheeting though.

Wildfisher

Dougster,

Photos of the "Black and Decker"  drogue as promised

Pretty much self explanatory. It is very strong, will not rot or tear. I have been using that one for many years now.  Maintenance free.

Fishtales

Fred.
Where the four cords meet the main line a big sea swivel stops the line twisting as the drogue spins in the water, it also helps to sink the drogue quicker. But "If it ain't broke don't fix it" :)
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Wildfisher

Sandy, it does twist a bit. That's why I use thicker rope, it's not such a problem. If the stuff was thin it would be a nightmare.

One useful modification might be to tie additional rope to one of the corners. Pulling that would collapse the drogue and make it easier to retrieve. Another  rope to potentially tangle though.

Wildfisher

I usually poke it down with an oar if it's windy, but that is a far better idea. What do you use?  A couple of sea fishing leads?

Pearly Invicta

Fred, that drogue design looks spot-on- for attaching an action man to it and throwing it out an upstairs windee.

Go To Front Page