News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

fly fishing?

Started by corsican dave, November 10, 2016, 05:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corsican dave

Evening,

Something to conjure with, a couple of scenarios (you'll see where I'm coming from straight away....)

I observe trout feeding on a particular fly and select an artificial from my box that resembles it  = fly fishing

I have no idea whether there are any fish at all, yet I select an artificial (maybe even 3 or more at once...) from my box & fish anyway = fly fishing (typical wet fly, loch style approach)

I observe a carp feeding on a particular food item and select an artificial from my box that resembles it = fly fishing

I know full well that salmon don't feed in fresh water, yet I select an artificial from my box anyway = fly fishing

I observe fish feeding on left-over bait from coarse anglers & decide, against all logic, to select an artificial "natural" food item and/or fish somewhere else = fly fishing

I observe fish feeding on left over bait from another angler & select an artificial which resembles that bait = fly fishing (surely? Or should I just walk on & pass up the opportunity....?)

I decide to pre-bait an area myself and select an artificial which resembles that bait = NOT fly fishing  :worms

Interesting, eh?  :lol:  :8)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Wildfisher

Dear Corsican Dave,

Anything other than a size 18 Tupp's Indispensable  delivered on a silk fly line with a gut tippet using a split cane rod is not proper fly fishing.   

Yours Sincerely

Rupert Fine-Nobility (Sir)

emc

Life is always a conundrum :roll:

Laxdale

A few years ago there was a grilse rising regularly to take Rhododendron leaves. You would have laughed at my attempts to match the hatch on what is a fly only stretch!
And, no, I did not catch the bloody thing.

Bobfly

Sir Admin Wupert has failed to specify that only an upstream cast is allowable.
Yee Gods .. how standards have collapsed. A black balling there for sure.
I will stock my box with rhoddie leaf flies and have a cast at anything!!
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Go To Front Page