News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Flurocarbon Tippet

Started by Wildfisher, July 10, 2017, 09:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

corsican dave

lots of folks catching big, powerful fish on fluorocarbon around the world...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov1xP5Q_djQ&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js4QAepIhpk

strange, huh? as Matt suggests, operator malfunction is probably the major cause of failure
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Laxdale

nacnud

Only problem I've had was with Seagar using it for salmon, don't know if it was a bad spool, but it snapped easily. I use fluro for trout all the time with no problem and other makes for salmon in low water again with no problem.

arawa

Quote from: nacnud on July 11, 2017, 12:46:18 PM
Interesting re the Maxima, was it the clear or brown?
I was out with my son yesterday, he hasn't been fishing since last season and his brown maxima, which was bought last season was snapping like thread, 4 & 6lb. Been stored in his fishing bag in the house in the dark.
I think a lot has to do with how long it's been lying in the shop, and how it's stored again in the shop.
I've not had a problem with fluro but definitely have had with ordinary mono and copolymer.
A relative staying with me last week wanted to have a go spinning from the sea shore for sea trout so I dug out an old outfit that I have not used for at least 15 and perhaps 18 years. I assumed the 8lb brown Maxima line on the reel would be completely useless after all that time but it was absolutely fine - and he landed a very nice sea trout with it!

Laxdale

I rowed a bloke about in a good going gale today. He rose a lot of salmon, hooked three.
He left Orange Muddlers in two of them. "That never happened before" said he. He was using fluorocarbon of about 13lb bs. I asked him if he had any Maxima....

The guy has fished all over the UK and Ireland for brownies, salmon and sea trout. So no mistakes with knots. Grand Max, or something like that, is the name of the sh!t he was using.

corsican dave

If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Bobfly

My spool of that went in the bin four years ago.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

SoldierPmr

I've never had an issue with it but like I've said before once I get down to 3lb fullingmills flies just disappear. I've lost them casting and I've lost them when fish first take.

corsican dave

aye, under around 5lb seems to be suspect. but problems at the higher breaking strains have gotta be operator error. everyone makes a mistake with a knot now & then; cold hands, rushing, not tightening up properly...  doesn't matter how many countries you've fished, pro-guide or amateur. sooner or later you'll make a mistake with the knot & look for something else to blame. probably even more likely if you're an very experienced angler as we'd all like to think we're perfect!  :lol:

Laxdale

Ping..... :shock:......another grilse carrying about a muddler today.

Go To Front Page