News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Klinkhamer !

Started by Chase, January 28, 2017, 08:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chase

I'm going to tie some up in the next week or so , Its a fly I never seem to do well with ! but the evidence seems overwhelming .
What thorax ,body, hackle , wing post combinations do you guys use ?

Thanks in advance .

Wildfisher

Tie some black and some olive / brown. The important thing is not to overdress them and to keep the bodies very slim. Most Klinks  I see are too bulky.

Robbie

Most of the time I would use a thread body in colours Fred recommend, sometimes use superfine dubbing. Have also had some successs with a light tan body. For thorax I often use I little peacock hero ice dub.

mattheweastham

In all honesty, I'm not convinced the actual combination of materials is all that important, provided that as Fred said, you keep the tying slim and don't over hackle the job. It's a very buoyant fly but only if you get the balance of it right, as opposed to whacking a thick yarn post on it and over half a dozen turns of hackle! Viewed from below, there is every chance that the fish will be tempted to take, not by the materials used, but by the stricken profile it presents.

Seals fur works nicely, particularly for loch/Stillwater fishing....whereas a slightly tighter, less shaggy body of some synthetic dubbing or other (Superfine/Masterclass etc), often does the business on the rivers. I would avoid too much natural fur (hare's ear, rabbit, squirrel etc), as once the abdomen is wet and submerged, sometimes the absorbent nature of the fine underfur can tip the balance and lead to a fly which repeatedly sinks, despite looking well proportioned for the job.

Matt   

Chase

Go To Front Page