News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rannoch raider

Have you ever tried them here Fred?

Wildfisher

Yes, they are especially effective on lochs in summer. I tie them both black and olive

corsican dave

Quote from: markirv on March 10, 2015, 11:36:26 AM
Bet they look great when they're wet.
I was going to tie a few mousy type things myself for some summer night fishing this year

cheers Mark! after some field-testing this evening, the foam needs to be a lot broader across the back to support the zonker, although it sure looks like a mouse! i'm out of #2 and #4 hooks now. any recommendations? I have been using tiemco tmc881s, but they're not easy to get and getting expensive. anyone used daiichi hooks?
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Mark

Im tight I just use Kamasan for almost everything apart from small dries.
The foam overhanging the eye of the hook will give it a nice popper effect when stripped in?

Talking foam flies this is the type I tried out on the Tay last year, worked pretty well in the riffly parts near trees when the river was low in Aug/Sept...can suspend a nymph or two off it as well. Biggest is size 6 or 8. probably just over an inch
Same sort of thing as Freds, peacock glister underneath to give it a sparkly bluebottle effect.

[attachimg=1]

corsican dave

Quote from: markirv on March 10, 2015, 06:59:01 PM
The foam overhanging the eye of the hook will give it a nice popper effect when stripped in?
quite right. same principle as jack gartside's gurgler. just a variation, to be honest.
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Mark

Aye I know what you mean. I like his soft hackle streamer pattern too, so simple to tie and very effective.

haresear

Quote from: corsican dave on March 10, 2015, 06:47:39 PM
cheers Mark! after some field-testing this evening, the foam needs to be a lot broader across the back to support the zonker, although it sure looks like a mouse! i'm out of #2 and #4 hooks now. any recommendations? I have been using tiemco tmc881s, but they're not easy to get and getting expensive. anyone used daiichi hooks?

I tied some fish skull streamers on Daiichi hooks for NZ Dave. Very strong and I will be tying more as Fred kept breaking off on fish with the few I had tied :)

Alex
Protect the edge.

Lochan_load

Mice!! Streamers!! Foam surface lure!! I feel it's my duty to cleanse our collective palate with a Kate maclaren, all be it one with a pink arse!  :shock: first of a few I'm tying for a forumite, he may or may not get them for the season kicking off  :?
[attachimg=1]

Lochan_load

Kate muddler of sorts
[attachimg=1]

Mark

Looks great........just needs a zonker tail, foam head and some mouse ears and it'll be perfect  :)

Go To Front Page