News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Esk Rivers Trust Rottal Burn Restoration Glen Clova Presentation

Started by Wildfisher, October 24, 2012, 03:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

River Chatter

Wow, what a transformation.  Looks like a cracking wee burn and one you'll be sure to fish in the coming years Fred when you're a local Fred!  :)

Bobfly

This is very interesting work. Quite similar to upper Ettrick by the Tweed Foundation biologists.

Q1   No budget given.
Q2   Grazed banks, no exclusion fencing being shown.
Q3   What was done with the old channel?
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Bobfly

Ha !! Just found the other posting on the same topic. Still wonder about the fencing. Perhaps still to be done.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

hopper

The cattle are fenced in well away from the new burn and the open area you see will be a flood plain, there is still a lot of tree and grass planting to take place and areas will be left as wet land to encourage nesting birds. The cost was about   £ 160000. The old burn or canal as was was filled in with some of the earth works from the new burn. The trust hope to see spawning fish this back-end normally up there late November early December

burnie

That's a great plan, I get up that way a few times a year,will have a closer look next time.

hopper

It is hoped that there will be an information hut erected early next year to help explain and show the amount of work that was undertaken

Wildfisher

What impresses me is how the Esk Trust can do all this work, Lunun and Bervie too remember,  without any full time staff and related overheads.

Part-time

Looks like a great project which will have taken a lot of effort to get implemented.

I noticed the EU LIFE project logo on the project information in the link and wondered if they paid a grant for half the cost of the work. Great if they did but you have to wonder at the EU also paying a grant to the netting netting company at the other end of the river :roll: - about £100,000 at the request of the Scottish Parliament last year, I seem to remember, plus an extention to the netting season

Wildfisher

Quote from: Part-time on October 25, 2012, 09:35:57 PM
I noticed the EU LIFE project logo on the project information in the link and wondered if they paid a grant for half the cost of the work. Great if they did but you have to wonder at the EU also paying a grant to the netting netting company at the other end of the river :roll: - about £100,000 at the request of the Scottish Parliament last year, I seem to remember, plus an extention to the netting season

yes, you really could not make it up could you.

Go To Front Page