News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Tents.

Started by Clan Chief, September 29, 2016, 01:21:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lochan_load

Bobfly

Not used a tarp because of Midge potential, but I have used a Goretex bivvy bag a number times. Light and dry but no gear room so a bin bag does instead.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

SoldierPmr

Quote from: burnie on October 07, 2016, 11:36:42 PM
Any of you guys use a tarp instead of a tent for a one night stop over high up?

Used them plenty in woodland a few times on moorland but on moorland i was protected by a bivvie for the midges. When ever I go on the fells I always carry a tarp just incase though.

burnie

I have a tarp for when I'm out with my camera, light as a feather and with little or nae midgies over here in the sunny east(lol), I thought when doing the hills and carrying a rod as well as a camera, a tarp would keep the rain off.

caorach

Quote from: burnie on October 08, 2016, 10:28:31 AM
I have a tarp for when I'm out with my camera, light as a feather and with little or nae midgies over here in the sunny east(lol), I thought when doing the hills and carrying a rod as well as a camera, a tarp would keep the rain off.

I can sort of see the appeal of a tarp and it would be especially handy to put up for lunch or even just to leave the gear under while you fish. However most of the ground I'm not isn't dead handy for a tarp and while there's always a peat bank or similar it is often wetter under a peat bank than it would be just standing in the rain :-)

When I found I could get a tent at 1kg then the idea of a tarp just went right out the window.

Now I know that tarps are all the rage with the bushcraft community but I think the key there is in the name in the sense that if you are in some types of forestry plus have carried quite a bit of gear in, as the bushcrafters tend to, then a tarp is probably OK but I really don't think it is optimal on the more open areas such as the peatlands where I spend most of my time. I've also seen people put up tarps to make a "living area" beside their tent but, again, this isn't going to work well on open moorland and while it is a great idea it has limited, or zero, actual practical application in the areas I fish and that's a shame as it would be nice to have.

ant0

Wouldn't fancy sleeping under just a tarp to be honest,  tent all the way.

On the subject of day trip shelter,  since my wife is with me on a lot of our day hikes with fishing as the destination,  I've given in to carrying a wee fishing shelter with us that's under 1kg and pretty much freestanding so fine for open barren areas.  It gives here a sheltered spot for a snooze while I fish and non-negotiable apparently  :lol:

This is it.

[attachimg=1]

Has a footprint of about 2m X 1.5m and we can both sit in it cooking lunch on the stove.

free the bees

I am looking for a tent next year and was wondeirng in the banshee or temptest, can you sit up straight inside? 

caorach

Quote from: free the bees on November 30, 2016, 02:03:51 PM
I am looking for a tent next year and was wondeirng in the banshee or temptest, can you sit up straight inside?

I can in the Banshee 200 but I'm not big at maybe 5'7" or a little bit more.

free the bees

Quote from: caorach on December 01, 2016, 08:14:37 AM
I can in the Banshee 200 but I'm not big at maybe 5'7" or a little bit more.
Brilliant thanks

caorach

I don't know if it helps but here is a photo of my Banshee on a Lewis trout loch, as you can see it is quite high in the middle but falls away quite rapidly so there isn't much foot room/head room at the extreme ends. This isn't a practical problem for me as I'm not tall but might be an issue for a taller person:

Go To Front Page