News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

My lightweight camping kit

Started by sparkymc, March 09, 2017, 10:38:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamie Goodhart

My lightweight kit is ready to go!

I use a very battered, mended and now discontinued 2 man Vango, which seems to do the job. 1.2kg. I'm six three and a bit, and find that the ultralight 2 man tents and only marginally heavier than the one man tents and the extra space makes all the difference.
Whatever rucksack seems appropriate circa 1-2kg
a jetboil including gas circa 1kg
a mountain equipment sleeping bag circa 1kg.

The key question is of course where to go. Could anyone give some advice of remote hill lochs that fish well in the earlier in the season? I am rearing to go!

corsican dave

Quote from: arawa on March 10, 2017, 11:12:53 AM
Excellent bit of kit and never felt inclined to look elsewhere. However, I just checked and the price for the current version of my model is £500 :shock: :shock: :shock: You would need to use a bag a lot to pay that much.

yes, but how long have you had it? one of my down bags is nearly 30 years old and still going strong. that's a good investment  :8)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

SoldierPmr

OK at my age I'm not too fussed about weight of kit I've been known to toddle off with the Bergans lavvu 5kg in my 2kg Bergen with 3kg of water, axe, saw, doss bag, cooking kit and wet gear etc I like to be comfy and sitting around 20kg its no hardship yet.

Though as a light weight alternative I'm buying one of the army mosquito tents weigh around 1.5kg for £9.99 already lived in one for 6 months so i know the kit. I then can build a 0.5kg tarp around it in any fashion (I like to have room) now this is still 2kg but with water and fishing kit food still in the bergen kit will be around 9 to 11kg. This set up is for moors and fells as a lot of bitey things can be about.
Other areas I just take the tarp and that's enough.

[attachimg=1]

arawa

Quote from: corsican dave on March 10, 2017, 12:40:12 PM
yes, but how long have you had it? one of my down bags is nearly 30 years old and still going strong. that's a good investment  :8)
That sounds like me trying to persuade my wife why I "need" some pricey item :lol:
I used that approach to buy a Sage RPL+ #5 over 20 years ago and it caught me an awful lot of fish before recently being displaced as my first choice rod by # 3 & 4 weight rods. Worth every penny.
I tend to agree buy cheap buy twice but I did think £500 for a sleeping bag was a bit steep. Why, it would nearly buy a decent fishing rod :crap :crap

corsican dave

Quote from: arawa on March 10, 2017, 03:02:53 PM
I tend to agree buy cheap buy twice but I did think £500 for a sleeping bag was a bit steep. Why, it would nearly buy a decent fishing rod :crap :crap

nearly...  :lol:
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

caorach

Quote from: Billy on March 10, 2017, 08:36:44 AM

I have been looking at replacing my cheap day trip rucksack but I need one with the trampoline back. Nothing worse than working up a sweat then sitting down in the cold to set up the rod.

I have some with all sorts of "fancy" backs that claim to sort all of this but in the end it doesn't seem to make much difference and it is a bit like the breathable clothing thing in the sense that on a mild day when walking in just a t-shirt it gets wet.

If you want a really comfy lightweight bag with no frills and semi-reasonable money then take a look at the Exped Lightning 60. Although simple it is fantastic at moving the weight to your hips, you could almost wear it without the shoulder straps. It actually has lots of back ventilation as you only touch it in a few places but, again, my experience is that you're either going to get sweaty or you aren't and nothing much makes any difference. It is so comfy that last year I used it as my day bag as well as using it for camping and with all the compression options etc. this wasn't a problem. There are wand pockets either side which are ideal for rod tubes though the webbing on the front/side of the bag is a little slippery and so can work itself loose pretty easily. Maybe I will look into getting some alternative webbing as it would be a simple thing to replace it. The other thing is that it isn't waterproof, it is shower proof but the sleeping bag and clothing would need to go in a dry bag.

Go To Front Page