News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Weighing Fish

Started by Wildfisher, October 28, 2021, 09:27:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laxdale

I keep a few decent sea trout each year for smoking, and I can say this chart is very accurate for sea trout in the 5-7lb range.

https://www.durhamflyfishing.co.uk/resources/Brown%20Trout%20Weight%20Length%20Ratio%20DFFCo.pdf

mattheweastham

Quote from: Hill loch gold on October 28, 2021, 07:20:07 PM
I'm usually not far off with my guesstimates. When i get a good fish i always have a guess before i weigh it, but more often than not, i'm usually under rather than over. I think the majority of people that exaggerate the weight, haven't caught many big fish, that's how they have no idea of the right weight.

Totally agree with that. I suppose it's natural that if you catch something way bigger than you have before, it looks so massive your mind automatically goes into a frenzy. You see it a lot on Malham Tarn near me - there's some big trout in there.....but nowhere near as many 6lbers as you might believe from social media posts.
Then there's the 3lb grayling syndrome....... :D
Matt

sagecirca

Quote from: mattheweastham on November 19, 2021, 11:33:09 PM
Then there's the 3lb grayling syndrome....... :D
Matt

You would think they were ten a penny... :lol:

arawa

I carry a tape measure marked with the slim/norm/good weights from the attached table. I found when I used to take the bigger fish, the table was pretty accurate when the trout were weighed at home.
Once into the season, most of the lochs I fish seem to produce "good" fish but 2 lochs are much closer to the poor/slim ratios although as it happens if I am keeping trout is it usually from both these latter lochs.
But to be honest, size does not matter much to me these days :D

[attachimg=1]

Bobfly

I take the same approach with a very similar length table. Easy to get length with my hand at a 20cms or 8inch hand span. Gives me as much of an answer that I might need to know.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Go To Front Page