News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Whisky Reviews

Started by SoldierPmr, April 17, 2015, 09:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

superscot

QuoteCrabbies Yardhead won't be buying that one again.  Needs a good few more years in the cask.

The alarm bell for me was the price £16....

arawa

I enjoy most Old Pulteney whiskies, and thought this one might be worth a try.

[attachimg=1]

tomcatin

Quote from: Noddy on May 16, 2020, 09:09:47 AM
Crabbies Yardhead won't be buying that one again.  Needs a good few more years in the cask.

I fell into the same trap ...... horrible!
Sadly my 7' 5 weight that killed fascists is deceased!

So in respect and in memorium, PLEASE DONATE TO AND SUPPORT THE WILD FISHING FORUM

Wildfisher

Quote from: arawa on May 23, 2020, 05:25:03 PM
I enjoy most Old Pulteney whiskies, and thought this one might be worth a try.

I was given a bottle of Old Pulteney 12 year old as a pressie a few years buck. It is very good. Smooth.

arawa

I have been enjoying some Rye whiskies recently. Not sure why but recently I seem to prefer drinking malts with friends and Rye when having one on my own. This bottle caught my eye and it has just arrived. My son saw the review and commented "he has not drunk nail varnish remover since he was a student"!

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

Bobfly

I am tasting now one of 4 little 40cc bottles given to me in a pack from Aultbea distilery. Labelled as Single malt, Spirit drink. Not called whisky because the label shows 50% proof,  distlled 15 May 2015, bottled 16 June 2016. Presumably if only a year or so before bottling it does not meet the 3 years minimum. Strong at 50 proof but actually light and a sweetness that goes towards a mild hint of hazelnut cream. What would it have been kept in? I did rather expect it to be pretty rough and nasty but it isn't. Weird!
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Bobfly

It is not too close to favourites from Islay !!!  Pale colour and somehow a hazelnut in the background. What barrels did it come from? Tiny bottles sealed in wax.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Noddy

Amazon have got Johnny Walker Green label on offer at £30, I paid £40 for it a few weeks ago.  Its a blend of 4 15yr old malts.  Worth a try.  Also in Morrisons at £30.

Jim

arawa

Quote from: arawa on June 12, 2020, 05:41:38 PM
I have been enjoying some Rye whiskies recently. Not sure why but recently I seem to prefer drinking malts with friends and Rye when having one on my own. This bottle caught my eye and it has just arrived. My son saw the review and commented "he has not drunk nail varnish remover since he was a student"!

After trying it, a quick update. WOW! Absolutely not subtle with masses and masses of flavours and needs plenty of ice. Could not be more different to a good malt in its approach with most of its impact upfront. But very enjoyable to sip in the evening.

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

arawa

My wife acquired a bottle of Malt (long story) and she has for ages refused to let me open it. But our son goes home tomorrow after a 3-week stay and last night she relented.
A powerful dram full of flavour with a long finish. And I suggest a bargain at the Amazon price of £64 although I have been warned that as they are from single casks quality can vary. This cask is a cracker.

[attachimg=1]

Go To Front Page