News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Map overlay software

Started by johnny boy, July 03, 2020, 12:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnny boy

Hi, I am looking for map software for use on a tablet for GPS use whilst at sea, I was wondering if any of you guys have any recommendation, ideally free software but willing to pay a small annual fee if need be.

arawa

I have used several Johnny. What tablet and what are you going to use it for?
Eg; just navigation close to the coast or crossing oceans :shock:
Do you want to see depth contours? Some have tidal flows.

Have a look at Memory-Map with its maritime charts. One off cost of £25 for all the latest UK charts and it works really well on an ipad. There are "better" programs but I doubt you would want the bells and whistles and they cost more. There are also free apps but they usually have drawbacks of some kind and not always the latest charts. Another advantage of Memory-map is you can easily transfer routes and tracks between ipad and PC.

Laxdale

http://fishing-app.gpsnauticalcharts.com/i-boating-fishing-web-app/fishing-marine-charts-navigation.html#12.43/57.9176/-6.6154/19.2

This is handy for me (coupled with Bing maps) when looking for new places to fish. Coupled with Google maps on your phone, it is hard to go wrong when pottering about inshore.

Bobfly

I do not about any of these systems but the free mapping archive held on line at the National Library of Scotland  is now all digitised and holds Admiralty charts and similar as well as all land mapping.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

johnny boy

Thanks guys, a few to look into there, it's for generally puttering about round the coaed of lewis

johnny boy

Gordon, do you use this with Internet connection or did you buy the app?

Is it gps enabled or do you always need Internet connection?

Laxdale

Quote from: johnny boy on July 04, 2020, 01:42:41 AM
Gordon, do you use this with Internet connection or did you buy the app?

Is it gps enabled or do you always need Internet connection?
My mate used to have gps on his phone, and i had the chart on mine. The main thing is being ensuring when you go out it is to an area with 4 g coverage. Even Google maps can get you home if it gets foggy. For the likes of the mouth of Loch Erisort with its interesting reefs, and from Dalmore to the Old Hill off Bernera, there are loads of shore marks to take bearings off. (eg, line up Gallan head with assorted islands). Using the chart it possible to find and memorise shore marks for the good bits. (I had all the area off Carloway worked out until, one day, they took away the mast on Gallan Head.  :shock:

johnny boy

We have not managed gallan head yet, had a couple of trips to the old hill but not beyond. Just faffing about really as we are both new to sea fishing (other than the old fashioned mackerel and laith tactics), good fun though trying to figure it out. The 4g thing is fine so long as your phone does not run out of charge, I was looking for a second option that could be used on a getac tablet. Hope to mount it and use it as a plotter on the boat with GPS. The phone and 4g are the backup. Can't be to careful out in these waters

Laxdale

Gallan area and Old Hill were never much good. At this time of year, either the mouth of Cliff Bay (15-20 metres deep) for rays, gurnard, flatties, etc. There is a patch of gravel at the mouth of the bay where you can get haddock, but it is kind of hard to describe where it is without being afloat.
From now until October out off the headland at Tiumpam (just past Garenin, NE end) is very good for a variety of species. There is a mix of sand, gravel, and peaks in quite a small area. Best fished when wind is with tide on a medium sized tide.
Go to pub if you encounter spurdogs.

johnny boy

Hi Gordon, we were out off garenin up to shawbost a week ago, we were about a quarter mile out as that's where we were told to try, spurdogs everywhere. Nothing else had a chance, as soon as you hit bottom they were on.

We were down by pabaidh today, didn't quite go as far as cliff, if only you had posted that yesterday.

Go To Front Page