News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Spey Casting Tuition

Started by 13Fisher1, January 03, 2013, 10:00:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

13Fisher1

Having thrashed around somewhat lat year on the river trying not to cast a salmon rod like my trusted and familiar trout rods I have finally decided to swallow my pride and in the interest of "Continuous Improvement" I am looking for some tuition for roll/ Spey cast.

Can anyone recommend a good instructor in my area here on W. Coast. The only person I know is David Bell who works as Hardy rep in Glasgow Angling Centre?

Thanks

Teither

Alan,
           I understand that the double-handers are just about the only folks who have been going along these last few months, and relatively few of those. For reasons of health [ mainly ] I've not been at the pond on more than a couple of occasions in the last six months or so. However, weather permitting, Tom and I will be along this Sunday coming and we'll probably be joined by a couple of  the other usual suspects.
          I don't know exactly where 13 F lives or is based but " Argyll and Bute " is some way from Knightswood. However, 13F, you will be most welcome to join us. In respect of professional tuition, Davie Bell, who is based in Dumbarton, may well be your most obvious bet. He is easy to contact [ see his own website ] and he will certainly cover well your requirements . It'll be up to you to practise what you are shown and the Glasgow CC provides a great resource for that ... if it's within travelling distance for you. I'd advise against making the journey at this time of year if the weather is bad or even dubious. It's quite possible that no-one will be there !!
T

Malcolm

13fisher1,

Come along on Sunday - if the weather is good at the casting club I intend going myself but I'm not the best double handed caster especially withh wee rods. The guys there will show you the basics and then you can decide when a casting lesson is due. I will say that if you can do good single handed spays then double handed speys use the same basic technique but the lower hand has a big role. At the very least you'll be told if your set up works.

The pond is only about 3 minutes drive west of Anniesland Cross near the corner of Archerhill road and Lincoln Avenue.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Traditionalist

May be of interest, but lessons are better if you get the right teacher;

http://www.youtube.com/channel/HCTPGiUBv5YAY

13Fisher1

Many thanks guys for the helpful and swift responses.
Until recently lived in Helensburgh but now in Anniesland for timebeing so v close to GCC and will certainly try to get there on Sunday weather permitting. I used to live in Alexandria and Balloch (Florida and Edinburgh) and remember David Bell as a bailiff on Leven and Lomond waters when I fished it in my "youth".

What time for GCC on Sunday?

Teither

13F1
        From 9.30 am, theoretically, but most folk roll up from around 10am on. See you there. The video Alan has posted shows Andrew Toft at the pond at Auchinstarry , near Kilsyth. Andrew Toft is the best I know. He sometimes even comes to Knightswood ! If not, you need to put up with us, as Malcolm says. We can talk on Sunday.

T
T

otter

About twenty years ago in a fit ofmadness ,  a friend and I drove from the west of ireland to Peebles to do a three day course with Derek Brown. His casting was poetry in motion. Mind , in hurry to catch the ferry we went through some villages at 100mph on the way back.

Malcolm

Quote from: Alan on January 04, 2013, 06:37:29 PM
Andrew Toft gets salmon fishers that come over from Ireland for a days tuition, they do it much more readily than we would here for some reason.

We're Scottish. Fishing and casting is in our blood and we're better than any bloody instructor. That's why!
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

13Fisher1

Just returned from my first visit to GCC and very glad I decided to go.
Met up and introduced to Malcolm, Jim, Tom and Harry, sorry there were others who arrived at the end of the session.

I believe that this was probably the best spent couple of hours that I will invest this year and I mean this sincerely!

Three major reasons for this are:
1. Meeting finally some of the like minded forum members
2. 1st invaluable learning point was that my line was not matched to my rod, too light to load the rod.
3. The valuable chance to get and willingness to give trusted advice and tuition.

Thank you to Jim, Malcolm and Tim, particularly you Jim who upon seeing my complete absence of any mastery whatsoever of my 15 ft salmon rod took me under his wing and patiently began to show me some of basics of d handed Spey cast. Homework to do that involves standing in front of mirror!
Thanks also to Malcolm who bowled me over by offering me a fantastic deal on the Orvis Spey line that he was trialing on his rod but which performed so well in my Trion fast action rid.

Thank you guys and will definitely be attending in future, a great example of a virtual and also real group of like minded people who share a common pursuit. I look forward to meeting again and also being able to contribute in whatever way I can going forward.

Colin
:D

Teither

It was a pleasure meeting you, Colin, and Harry. That was probably the best turnout at the pond in some time. Next week you'll be surprised by the progress you've made - if you remember the mirror !  :lol: Let's hope for decent weather again. Today was just about ideal.

T

Go To Front Page