News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Book Sharing / Swapping

Started by Black-Don, December 10, 2011, 01:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traditionalist

Quote from: fishtales on December 10, 2011, 10:48:22 PM
In that case Mike, Book Clubs, where the members meet to read, discuss and swap books, wouldn't be able to function.

There are a lot of exceptions, including libraries, book clubs, etc.  The main point being that you can not COPY or otherwise distribute various works and only a SINGLE ORIGINAL of any particular work may be lent or circulated.

TL
MC

Traditionalist

Quote from: Alan on December 10, 2011, 10:56:52 PM
Stan would prosecute :lol: Topically, the only books i have worth swopping were written by former and current members of the forum,

obviously all books would be second hand which makes this interesting, it would surely be legal to sell Donald a book, and for Donald to sell me a book, and for us to decide how much that exchange would be.

If you buy a book, or any other copyrighted work, it is then yours to do with as you please, just like any other object you buy. You can swap it, sell it, burn it etc. The only exceptions are that you may not COPY it or distribute it to anybody else without the express permission of the copyright owner.

Anything anybody writes is automatically copyright. However, you can not usually enforce this unless you have registered the copyright and sell the work or similar, because you can not prove financial damage.

If you copy somebody else's uncopyrighted work, that  is basically plagiarism, and plagiarism is not illegal.

As long as the source is acknowledged it is also not plagiarism.

TL
MC

Black-Don

Quote from: Alan on December 10, 2011, 10:56:52 PM
obviously all books would be second hand which makes this interesting, it would surely be legal to sell Donald a book, and for Donald to sell me a book, and for us to decide how much that exchange would be.

That must be the case because you can sell a 2nd or 3rd or 4th hand etc,. book on e-bay without difficulty. If selling a used book was illegal they wouldn't allow it !

Fishtales

As Mike has said as long as you are selling/lending the original book and you haven't copied it you are doing nothing wrong. It is when you sell/lend/or transmit a copy that you break the law.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Wildfisher

You can sell any book, video, cd etc you own. What you must do is sell it in its entirety, so if you make a copy then sell the original (or the copy)   you are breaking copyright  law. In fact making a copy at all is dubious even if you keep it.  

The answer is obvious. You just do what you want  and keep quiet about it.  :lol:

Malcolm

Anyone care to define "the public".
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Black-Don

Quote from: Mike Connor on December 10, 2011, 11:00:45 PM
If you buy a book, or any other copyrighted work, it is then yours to do with as you please, just like any other object you buy. You can swap it, sell it, burn it etc. The only exceptions are that you may not COPY it or distribute it to anybody else.

TL

DEFINITION - pub·lic (pblk)

1. The community or the people as a whole.
2. A group of people sharing a common interest: the reading public.
3. Admirers or followers, especially of a famous person. See Usage Note at collective noun.

Definition 2 does seem to make it illegal for us as we could be defined as a group of people sharing a common interest - don't know how book clubs seem to be exempt though  :?

Traditionalist

Quote from: guest on December 10, 2011, 11:16:14 PM

DEFINITION - pub·lic (pblk)

1. The community or the people as a whole.
2. A group of people sharing a common interest: the reading public.
3. Admirers or followers, especially of a famous person. See Usage Note at collective noun.

Definition 2 does seem to make it illegal for us as we could be defined as a group of people sharing a common interest - don't know how book clubs seem to be exempt though  :?

You can lend a book or books to a circle of friends, as long as only originals are lent.

More to the point here is that this idea seldom works, it has often been tried before without much success.  The difficulty is in keeping things organised and making sure no books are lost.  I don't lend any books anymore, I have lost too many over the years as a result of doing so.

You can also lend books on line. Basically this means you are loaned a copy of a certain book for a limited time, here's an example;

http://www.archive.org/download/http://www.archive.org/details/familycirclesgui00newa

TL
MC

Traditionalist

Quote from: Alan on December 10, 2011, 11:22:01 PM
plagiarism can be illegal, for example if you present yourself as the author, and breaks copywrite if offered for sale,

i think were getting carried away, you are allowed to give people books if you bought em, otherwise there would be no chrismas :P

Plagiarism is not a legal term and is not legally recognised.

http://www.bobbyelliott.com/Plagiarism.htm

TL
MC

Black-Don

Quote from: Alan on December 10, 2011, 11:22:01 PM
i think were getting carried away, you are allowed to give people books if you bought em, otherwise there would be no chrismas :P

:roflmao

Go To Front Page