Check Out Fish Wild The Free Online Fishing Magazine
Please Consider A Donation To Help With The Forum Hosting Costs. Thanks! 😊

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Gear / Re: Poacher's Rod
« Last post by admin on July 03, 2022, 04:37:59 PM »
With the 7 pc design and the budget price tag I'm not expecting it to be like my Sage ZXL  ;D   but having a very portable rod is handy sometimes.  I expect it will be a bit poker-like.
Gear / Re: Poacher's Rod
« Last post by Bobfly on July 03, 2022, 03:21:21 PM »
I have a 7 piece 9ft 6wt in that series and it is surprisingly good in the blank but understandably fairly basic in the fittings. I was given it as an unexpected present so it was even better value. Fits in the top pocket of the float tube. It had no outer maker's protective tube case so I made one with a short piece of shed guttering downpipe.
Gear / Poacher's Rod
« Last post by admin on July 03, 2022, 03:02:36 PM »
Or travel rod if you prefer.  ;)

Ordered one of these 8 1/2 foot  #5 weight, just to see what it was like.  Should fit discretely into the rucksack.

Anyone tried these rods?

https://www.anglingactive.co.uk/shakespeare-oracle-2-exp-fly-rod.html
Open Board / Re: Humphing and Heying!
« Last post by GallowayBlueline on July 01, 2022, 09:21:37 AM »
Drop it down to the smallest cog on the cassette (the hardest one) before flipping the bike over Fred (and you do need to flip an ebike over, there's no way you're holding the bike in one hand and refitting wheel in the other, like the roadies do!) - this makes it a lot easier. It can be a wee bit of faff, especially as you have to get the brake disc aligned too, but after you've done it a few times it's a lot easier.
Oddly as a non-drinker that never even occurred to me Ian. It's been so long since I had alcohol I had forgotten what a destructive part it plays in Scottish society.

On some of the forum outings we used to have to the Crask or similar it never failed  to amaze me how much some people would drink, sitting up half the night then suffering half the next day and wearing it as a badge of honour.  ::)

Never a truer word said Fred, It'd quite incredible how our lives revolve around the demon. Celebration? drink, Feeling down? drink, good weather? drink.....and on, and on..... I used to feel a wee bit awkward telling folk that I don't drink, I now don't feel that way, and note that peoples reactions are very interesting indeed, from assuming that you used to have a problem to openly telling you that they wish they could abstain too!.

I suppose having more coastline and water than than many other countries is a factor too. I knew of two 16 year olds who died in a local reservoir at the end of the summer 5 years ago, they'd been swimming in there most days without issue, diving off the tower. One dived in and didn't come back up, his pal dived in after him and met the same fate, was tragic. Cold water shock was the explanation at the time.
Open Board / Re: Is it legal?
« Last post by Laxdale on June 30, 2022, 10:03:26 PM »
It i illegal to deliberately fish for sea trout in the sea without written permission. (Orkney and Shetland may be different).
If you fish in the sea and a sea trout jumps on by accident, you are fine as long as the fish is released.
But it is also perfectly legal for a bailiff to stand beside an angler (not) fishing for sea trout and repeatedly lash 10 rusty hooks over the (not a) sea trout anglers fly line. ie, do not take the piss.
Open Board / Re: Which knot?
« Last post by GallowayBlueline on June 30, 2022, 09:25:12 PM »
Love the honesty Fred! Over on some other forums, lots of folk have never had their chosen method fail!  ;D

I like the reassuring click that the penny knot gives once cinched down. Had a casting lesson with John Milne a couple of weeks back, the knot he did was incredibly quick, so quick I struggled to follow it! Going out with him on the Gryffe next week, need to pay more attention!.
Open Board / Re: Which knot?
« Last post by admin on June 30, 2022, 08:40:09 PM »
3 turn uni when I have enough tippet otherwise a 1/2 blood which has failed me many times   ;D ;D
Open Board / Which knot?
« Last post by GallowayBlueline on June 30, 2022, 08:35:46 PM »
I struggle a wee bit with clinch knots when using a bushy fly, so I'm experimenting with the uni knot and penny knot, and have seen the double davy recommended too.

I've even bought a wee cheap pair of reading glasses to help out!.

What do you guys prefer?.
Open Board / Re: Is it legal?
« Last post by IanR on June 30, 2022, 08:06:25 PM »
Sea trout are commonly fished from the shore in Orkney, but most locations are well away from the (few) freshwater outflows.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10