News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Building my own canoe

Started by Malcolm, November 09, 2009, 05:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guddler

Quote from: breac uaig on November 18, 2009, 08:40:23 PM
part of the build guddler pioneered by the Mirror Dinghy, they tried Nylon mono at first but the old copper wire was spot on ,  :)  breac uaig

So you trim the copper ties back and encapsulate them into the joint with resin and tape? This is a fascinating thread. I've seen plenty of Mirrors but had no idea that's how they were constructed.
Keep the photos coming, Malcolm, I'm fair enjoying seeing this all come together.

sandyborthwick

Aye Guddler,

What you do is once the planks are glued together you can snip the copper ties pull them through and plug the holes finishing off with some epoxy and bandage.

A lot of Ian Oughtreds' designs are very much based on old Shetland designs but constructed using modern materials and methods.

I am currently about a third the way through building a traditional shetland Whilly boat by the traditional method(shell climker). I really must try and get that finished this winter, need to get some more of my rough cut larch planks planned and sized. The copper riveting does seem to take a lot of time though.

I have been hoping to get to Unst and see some of the boats there as my plans were very basic and taken from an old book. The methods employed traditionally seem as good today once put to use as ever they were.

I might even get the boat to shetland one day just to have a wee local sail in home waters so to speak.

Sandy B.O.   

Inchlaggan

Quote from: sandyborthwick on November 19, 2009, 02:34:24 PM

I have been hoping to get to Unst and see some of the boats there as my plans were very basic and taken from an old book.

Always interested in old plans- what was the book?
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

sandyborthwick

Ken the book was "The Shetland Boat" (South Mainland and Fair Isle) by Adrian G Osler.

Its the National Maritime Museum "Maritime Monographs and Reports No.58 - 1983".

I have always had a secret plan to build one of these with the original block planes and tools just like my old relatives did when I was a kid. My only real cop out has been the use of some power planing and sizing of the planking. Oh and I do use Sika flex for the caulking instead of traditional materials.  

I've scaled up the Structure and Lines Plan of the 12' of keel "whilly Boat" and using the original methods and sketches shown in the book to produce the replica boat(about a third so far).

The book also holds drawings for the Ness Yoal Ivy LK127, Ann LK126, and a Sixern (Foula Mail Boat). I think the Ness Yoal and the Sixern will have to wait for my retirement for building :lol:, SWMBO thinks I have enough boats at the moment - three on the go and one in the build.

Sandy B.O.          

sandyborthwick

My Sentiments exactly Andy,

There's just something about these old boats that takes some beating even by modern standards.

Sandy B.O.

Inchlaggan

Thanks, I'll chase up on these books- "Dear Santa, I have been a very good boy this year, despite what SWMBO says, and (again despite what SWMBO says) I do need more books about boats, so that I can make more of my "stupid fecking" models.
Go."

Inchlaggan

The "Books I really need" list grows longer.
Go."

Guddler

I'm aware that I'm pulling Malcolm's thread a little off-topic but this should be worthwhile for anyone interested in traditional boatbuilding methods.

http://shetlopedia.com/Sixareen_Building_Project

A page from Shetlopedia (yes, there is such a thing  :)) on the building and launch of a traditional Shetland sixareen. There's some video of it being built lower down the page but right at the bottom are links to loads and loads of detailed photos of the construction.

Black-Don

Quote from: breac uaig on November 19, 2009, 04:15:13 PM
the original mirror dinghy plans said that the copper wire was left in place and covered with the resin and f/glass tape,

The old man built a canoe for my brother using this method about 30 years ago. The components came in kit form but you had to cut the panels etc,. yourself. From what I remember of that craft, the copper ties were taped over on the inside and then snipped back on the outside before sanding off and taping over. Sounds like the same method.

It was a great canoe and I'm sure Malcolms will be too.  As said before, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished article. Here's hoping you varnish that nice Mahogany rather than painting Malc  :wink:.

sandyborthwick

I don't know about the costs nowadays, some wooden classics are a fair penny.

Wood = High Maintenance - but lasts long and easy to repair in the hands of a knowlegable person.

I currently have a Montagu Whaler (both sailing and rowing) - a few old salts here might remember rowing these in years gone by.

I'll be out rowing her this afternoon with some other old farts before a well earned pint in the pub this evening. Not quite a Shetland boat but similar ideas - at 27?Ft she takes a bit of looking after. We had to replace a couple of planks 2 years back and get to grips with handling a dipping lug rig but thats all part of the fun and mystique.

We have knowledge of only one other sailing example now and she has just gone to Greenwich Maritime museum - GBP10,000. We had hoped to get in and buy it but it was gone before we got a chance.

Guddler I saw some pictures before of the Sixareen(sixern) that was built in a project near Lerwick, will have to give that site a good scanning for extra tips.

Sandy B.O. 

Go To Front Page