News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Light Line Glass Fibre Fly Rods

Started by Wildfisher, June 06, 2011, 02:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcolm

Oddly enough I have an old carbon 3/4 weight rod that casts 3 yards of line perfectly. I was using it last night.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Wildfisher

Well, after much deliberation I decided what I need is a rod that is short as well as light line and self flexing.

I bit the bullet and have ordered this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170636308652&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

Even paying the VAT and import duty  it's pretty good price-wise and it comes with 2 tip sections which is probably just as well for a cane rod.  :D

Wildfisher

My 6 ½  foot split cane 3 weight arrived today.

She is beautiful. I think I'm in love.

:lol:

River Chatter

Quote from: admin on July 15, 2011, 04:13:06 PM
She is beautiful. I think I'm in love.
:lol:

Jeez Fred, first a gimp mask now a cane rod! I've heard they can be a bit kinky, especially in the tip section.  I hope yours is straight enough for you!  :lol:

Seriously, it looks fine and I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on with it.  :)

scotty9

Did you get stung at customs or was it alright? Be interested to hear how you get on.

Wildfisher

Quote from: scotty9 on July 15, 2011, 08:33:57 PM
Be interested to hear how you get on.

After using carbon pokers it's an odd feeling casting with a rod  that flexes down to  the handle. You can feel the rod bend in your hand. I have not fished  with it yet, but  it's set up with DT#3  Wildfisher Heron Grey and furled leader. It turns over  with a foot of line out. That's the idea. It'll be pretty hopeless  for casting a longer line into the wind, but that's not what it's for. This is a small overgrown burn / pocket water rod.

Did I mention it is a thing of exquisite beauty?   :D

River Chatter

Did you get the one with the Polo Fruit lodged in the stripping ring Fred?  If so the hole looks a bit small in the photo.

Malcolm

I really like these Fred but some people hate that slow action. I'm sure you will love it.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Wildfisher

Quote from: River Chatter on July 16, 2011, 12:37:20 PM
Did you get the one with the Polo Fruit lodged in the stripping ring Fred?  If so the hole looks a bit small in the photo.

The stripping ring is small, but the whole rod is really dinky and the ring is in perfect proportion to the rest of it.

The cork  grip is of impressive quality.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Malcolm on July 17, 2011, 09:09:59 PM
I really like these Fred but some people hate that slow action. I'm sure you will love it.

Quote from: Alan on July 17, 2011, 10:17:03 PM
im ok with slow but i hate the counterflex you get with cane, be interesting to see if it is actually slow at 6.5'

It's not as slow  as the old glass rods I have, but yes it is short. It flexes so easily, right through the handle. It's an odd feeling.

It's a tool  to do  a certain job. You aint gonna be chucking woolly buggers with it.  :lol:

Go To Front Page